orange wine and extract

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Standerd backsweetning rule. Add sorbate and campton together. They work best that way. Sorbate alone just keeps the yeast from breeding. It does not kill off the yeast. That is why you wait untill the wine is clear. Clear wine has very little live yeast compared to cloudy wine. Campton tabs stun the yeast, also not killing it. Together they stun the yeast then keep it from multiplying.
Soo. Add sorbate per pakage directions plus one campton tab per galleon of wine. Mix well, in a cup and then dump and gently swirl in the carboy. ( if you added a campton tab in the last few weeks you may not need to add more, or half.) I like to let it sit a day. Then add orange juice concentrate. Gently stirr. Let sit another day. Take an sg reading. Taste test:). If perfect I like to wait a week and retake sg to make sure it has not refermated. Then bottle. Of not perfect add more oj and retest next day.

The more juice or concentrate you add the lower the abv will be.... A few cups or even a whole quart should not bother it much. Just something to be aware of.

Or add an orange flavored brady type drink. No worries about refermenting and flavore bost! But abv bost as well.....

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Wowzers. Somebody get a carboey so we can contain all this knoweledge.

Jensmith, nailed it with the orange backsweetening and sorbate/campton. Awesome stuff.

Wineforfum, all questions answered. You guys rule.

Here's the move in going to go with.
orange is really the flavor in going for, so I will rack because it's just that time anyway, into sorbate/campton orange concentrate slurry. I will use about 4 concintate containers, that should bring the flavor up to about half what you drink with your toast in the morning.(...I think, I will Read the directions on the concentrate can and go from their And based on the 5 gals of wine) I do like the idea of the chocolate, but I that's not what I'm going for. Let all this hang out and clear up a bit for another two weeks or so then rack and bottle.

Buuutt, at the end of summer, I'm starting a strawberry batch, chocolate strawberry wine? That will get the knickers off the wife for sure:HB

Again, pleasure working with the best. You guys are awesome... for realz

Where do you guys get your extract from? I don't think ive ever seen it at the store... Unless i just over look it

Where do you guys get your extract from? I don't think ive ever seen it at the store... Unless i just over look it

From the local grocery store. I'm not sure exactly where, my wife picked it up for me but I bet it's in the baking area or near the vanella extract.

Last Sunday I made this orange wine, but my ingredients are different: 1 Camden tablet (a handy form of sulfur dioxide for disinfecting and sterilizing), 1/2 teaspoon grape tannin, Wine yeast, Yeast nutrient, and added some homemade orange extract for flavor. It's delicious and tasty. You must try this one at home. Click here to know more: https://foodgear.org/substitute-for-orange-extract/

Latest posts

Back