WineXpert Oops...Did I just ruin my wine!?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ithink2020

Reaction score
Long story short, I dumped about 1/2 cup of sanitizing solution into my wine!

I poured a about a 1/2 cup of sanitizing solution into a 2-cup measuring cup for sanitizing some equipment. I prepared the k-meta and Potasium Sorbate in a 4-cup measuring cup. After Stirring in the F-pack and degassing, I grabbed the 2-cup measuring cup (k-meta) and carefully poured it into the wine. After I stirred the wine again, I noticed I grabbed the wrong one!

When I smelled the wine, iI though I smelled a little sulfite. My wife said she didn't smell any sulfite, but it smelled like "fermenting". I think that's because all the yeast was just stirred up.

Aside from that, it tasted good to me. So, I think I'm ok, but wanted some reassurance.

Matt

If your sanitizing solution is 3 TB per gallon, then you just added an extra 1/4 tsp of K-meta. No problem, as the level in your wine now is comparable to commercial wine makers, who routinely use about twice the SO2 level that we do. You do need to get another packet of potassium sorbate and add it to your wine or the F-pack will ferment to dry.

Latest posts

Back