Old wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd1

Reaction score
I see in the 'poll' section there is an "Old Wine" poll.
Is that refering to home made wine, or any wine ... even commercial?

I mean I'm gonna HAVE to click the " It was old when Noah Sailed " anyhow, because on my 15 year old full carboys ..... but I have these other 2 bottles laying around since the beginning of time .....
Being the wine Noobler that I am. I don't know my wines well.
Maybe you guys can tell me what the wine in these two bottles might be like .... if I should ever decide to open them.
20080201_145004_OldWine2.gif
20080201_150425_OldWine1.gif

I'm not sure Lloyd on those bottles. Usually bordeaux has staying/lasting power and can age very well. Your bordeaux however, says 11.5%, which is on the low side. Usually bordeaux wines with the power to last are in the 13.5% and higher. 1979 was an average year for Bordeaux as well. If I had to guess, I'd say it was past its prime, but still might be very pleasant. You will most likely taste lots of green pepper notes on this wine.

The 1999 Merlot however might still be quite good. Merlot is softer in tannins and structure, so this one should be getting close to going past its peak, and would guess that it is quite excellent right now.

Let us know how they turn out for you.

Thanks Dean, that's the kind of general, yet specific, info I wanted.
smiley20.gif

Maybe sometimeif I were invited to a 'wine sampling get together', that was located in my neck of the woods ( south central Wisconsin ), I might bring them two bottles along ....... for sampling.... to dryness.
smiley36.gif

Put them on ebay, those crazies will pay good money just to have a 29 & 9 year old bottle of wine.

I agree!! I would put them on Ebay. It would be interesting to watch the bidding.

We have a bottle of Ripple we have been hauling around for years.....Just to remember the 'Good Old Days' of Ripple Slurppies [Ripple/Ice/Grapefruit Juice in a blender]

The only thing good about the Good Old Days is that we weren't old then.

Hey Lloyd, where in Wisconsin are you? I'm in the south central Janesville area.

moto-girl said:
Hey Lloyd, where in Wisconsin are you? I'm in the south central Janesville area.

I live in a rural area near Oakfield.
Oakfield is sort of between Waupun and Fond du Lac, but a bit south.

Good to hear from some Wisconsinites!!

Appleton is just a couple hours from here. Meeting new friends is always cause for a road trip and sharing a good bottle or two.

Appleton is a beautiful city..Of course I'm predjudiced, my nephew is the Mayor

Well there you go then! There's nothing like a road trip across Wisconsin in October! I may have to take a few extra days if I go...

Latest posts

Back