Cellar Craft Old vine kit unusual activity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's a CC Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel kit. Started 6-19-14. Last night I started the clearing phase, SG was .994, when I put the K-meta pouch into the carboy the wine started to bubble up rapidly, step #31. Next step was de-gassing, using vacuum, I started out at 5" & the amount of off gassing was amazing. One hour later the degassing was still going TOO strong at 12" of vacuum. Never could get to my normal de-gassing vacuum of 20". Could it be a MF? No activity seen in the air lock prior, or post. Never have experienced this before. Roy

Last edited:
FTC, do I understand correctly that you added the k-meta before degassing? If so, that could be the problem. I always de-gas first before stabilizing.

Rocky, I did add K-meta first, their step #31, then de-gassed, their step#32. I have had gassy wines before, But never this much, actual degassing time was one hour & 25 mins. I'll pull some wine out of the carboy & put the vacuum back on it now, report back later. Thanks, Roy

FTC, is the kit you are making the CC Showcase Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel or is it from another one of their lines? The reason I ask is that the instructions that are posted on line for the Showcase kits clearly state to de-gas (Step 33) and then add k-meta and k-sorbate (Step 34). It seems like you have different instructions. Perhaps they are different for other of their lines, but I cannot imagine why that would be. It would seem prudent to get as much gas out as possible before adding k-meta, which generates a certain amount of gas itself.

Rocky, it is a Showcase CC kit. I usually de gas before stabilizing, this time I followed the instructions to a T. Re read them 3 times, they clearly say to add k- meta, then de gas. Strange. Roy

My LE pinot noir has the k meta added and then stirred for 2 minutes to degas. I think stirring is more "friendly" to the k meta than vacuum. Now, my pinot volcanoed all over the floor, but it quit in about the required 2 minutes. I will vacuum degas later, after racking again.

Roy, for some strange reason, they apparently changed the instructions. The ones I was quoting from are date January 2010. Is there a date at the bottom of your instructions? It may have had something to do with their recent acquisition.

Latest posts

Back