Oak or no oak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
I have three batches of wine that I may want to add oak to. The first one is in primary right now,and is a mulberry. theother two I have not started yet, but one will be sour cherry and the other will be plum. My question is this , Oak or no oak and if so what would you suggest and for what reason. sorry for all the questions but I have only added oak to one wine so far and all I did was follow directions without knowing why or what it would add to the wine. I figure the only way to learn with limited mistakes is to ask questions.

Thanks BOB

OAK!!!! I oak most of my wines and meads, I just like what it brings to the wines. I just racked a sweet chocolate cherry mead and used a heavy toast french oak - really nice addition to the mead. I would look at a medium toast oak for the plum and perhaps the same for the mulberry.
VC

Waldo suggests American oak medium on the mulberry. I will do it next time. Not that the mulberry wasn't good by itself...... But I think about the possibility of the oak flavor too.......

I WOULD THINK IT WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE WHETHER OR NOT YOU PREFERED A FRUIT FORWARD FLAVOR BUT THESE GUYS USUALLY KNOW BEST.

Wikipedia has as good a description of oaking wine as I have seen:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_(wine)
When I first started making wine , I wanted to know what flavors etc oak was actually doing, and the only way I could taste the difference is to hold out maybe a bottles worth, or split the batch in half oaking one and not the otherand then compare side by side the same wine I made to see if I could distinguish the differences. The right match of oak to the wine you are making can indeed improve the mouthfeel and flavor, I still use this general chart that has been posted here several times for matching up oak to wine:
Heavy Toast
Brings pronounced caramelized,
carbonized and toast flavors very quickly -
it doesn't need much contact time. It is most
often used in big, bold red wines

Medium Plus Toast
Is between Medium and Heavy Toast.
It has aromas of honey, roasted nuts
and a hint of coffee and spices.
It seems to be the ideal toast level for red wines

Medium Toast
Has less tannins but more bouquet,