Oak Barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think a barrel going neutral is a bad thing. I use neutral barrels all the time with other oak methods, and I still get the concentration effect. Once a barrel hits really old, I'll use it to make Madeira if I ever get around to building my hut to heat it.

Dean...what are you thoughts on micro-oxygenation? Barrels that have gone nuetral are less and less able to deliver oxygen

Al Fulchino said:
Dean...what are you thoughts on micro-oxygenation? Barrels that have gone nuetral are less and less able to deliver oxygen

I never knew that before (and never experienced it). But then again, I've only had experience with little bitty barrels of 50L capacity that will over oxidize wine though micro-oxidation if left too long no matter how neutral it is. And depending on the wine, that's only 2 to 6 months (and that's probably with unwashed bitartrate crystals lining the darn thing too!)
smiley36.gif

micro-oxygenation and micro-oxidation...are two very different things, although they would go hand in hand over time :)

I never knew that either Al. I just learned something today. I know the Australians are playing with oxygenation stones to see what they can come up with for the science of micro-oxygenation. Maybe they can come up with a stone based method that will allow even glass storage to get all the benefits of micro-oxygenation. I was also under the impression that corks provided the same thing.

Latest posts

Back