Now what? Went to rack but Lees HIGH!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
So I went to check on my wine, which I hadn't checked for 3 days because every time I listened, I could hear bubbles from under the towel.

Today, I hear nothing.. I move the towel and it looks super clear, so I decide to rack into it's secondary.

At 1st, it started fine, but when I went to set the racking cane down, it sucked up a huge cloud. I end up holding the cane up to make sure it's above the Lees.. Now here's the problem

I get to the bottom and I find that the Lees isn't compact, but very loose and fluffy, and taking up over 2 inches t the bottom of the bucket. I don't want to move this to my 2ndary, but if I don't I'm going to end up with close to a gallon of head space..

What should I do?

Don't worry about about every last bit of the lees, just move the wine to the secondary, you'll be racking again once it's fully complete.

Don't worry about about every last bit of the lees, just move the wine to the secondary, you'll be racking again once it's fully complete.

I think it's done.. the SG came in at 0.992.

And look the head space. Wasn't sure what to do, so added a tsp of sugar in the hopes that the yeast will make a bit of CO2 to blanket it, with a air lock.. I'm hoping that'll give me a few days to figure something out.

SB-Headspace.jpg

Last edited:
Your sugar addition is wishful thinking. And it's going to cause a brief growth of yeast that will then drop out that you will have to rack off, increasing your racking losses. Put the wine in a carboy that's the right size. Then use a proper airlock. The silicon ones are really perfect but even a bubbler airlock would be an improvement.

You need containers of every size. 6 gallon, 5 gallon, 3 gallon, and a bunch of 1 gallons. Even 1/2 gallons and then individual wine bottles can be useful.

Regarding lees; Racking off the gross lees wastes a lot of wine. That's just the way it is, so get used to it. I went through that process today. 25 gallons to start, 21 gallons after racking. Normal.

Agree with all of above, except that you don't want to age your wine with a silicone airlock, they allow a LOT of oxygen through according to Daniel Pambianchi.

Latest posts

Back