Not Fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traveladdict

Junior
Reaction score
Okay, this is my very first attempt and it looks to be starting off poorly. From my reading, I think I may have made a couple of errors. The question is whether this is savable! Here are the details that I know:

WinExpert Mezza Luna White Kit

Started at about 1.082 specific gravity -- after 48 hours, no bubbles in the airlock. I opened the lid to the primary fermenter and no smell of yeast. Still 1.082 specific gravity. Nothing but the wood chips on the surface.

The must was at about 72-degrees when I added the yeast. The room is and has been a steady 73-74 degrees.

So, now the potential errors that I (think) I may have made. First -- I goofed and didn't rinse the sanitizer. I thought it had to stay to "sanitize" (should have read up first as the instructions don't specify). Second -- the yeast package says to hydrate in 110-degree water. I followed the instructions (it was in the water for about 1 minute, maybe 2 minutes. The kit instructions specifically say DON'T rehydrate the yeast.

I am unsure of what to do to try and save this or if I'm SOL. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

There are a couple options but I would think all is not lost. The first is call the yeast manufacturer and ask what the affect of hydrating the yeast would have on the kit wine. Second buy a package of the same yeast and sprinkle it over the must. Unless you left an unusual amount of sanitizer within the fermenting bucket I would think this would have been diluted when you added in the juice. You didn't add anything in the juice other than what the instruction indicated did you?

Thanks

The instructions call for:

Water -- Bentonite -- packet of grape juice -- water -- oak chips. That is all that went in to my knowledge.

I thought an extra shot of yeast might be the answer. I need to find the yeast type. Of course, I threw away the package!

Have you stirred it at all?

What kind of sanitizer?

Hydrating the yeast or not is more of a personal preference, although as a community it's generally recommended to rehydrate using Go-Ferm, but both ways work.

Stir it and see if it froths at all, you can't always smell it in the beginning and if the yeast colony is just getting started at the bottom of the vessel, it doesn't always affect the SG at the top immediately

I am going to bet that your water was to hot. I always hydrate my yeast, but I don't measure the temp. I try to make it just a bit warmer than body temp. If I put my finger in and it feels warm to me, it is probably to hot, so I let it cool for a bit before putting the yeast into it.

Also, I am going to guess that for a Mezza Luna kit the yeast would be EC-1118.

I am going to bet that your water was to hot. I always hydrate my yeast, but I don't measure the temp. I try to make it just a bit warmer than body temp. If I put my finger in and it feels warm to me, it is probably to hot, so I let it cool for a bit before putting the yeast into it.

Also, I am going to guess that for a Mezza Luna kit the yeast would be EC-1118.

Yes, maybe. The package said to heat 1/4 cup of water to 110 degrees. Definitely over body temp. My thermometer said just over 110 (maybe 112-113). Stupid me thought "hey, that's close!" :ft

This is exactly why the kit instructions say to sprinkle the yeast on the surface of the must dry and not to rehydrate it. That always works. The extra step of hydrating the yeast with warm water first just introduces another opportunity for making an error. It works out okay for most people most of the time but why take the risk and go to the extra effort.

I'm a little confused about your comment about the sanitizer. Are you saying that you poured sanitizer into the primary bucket and emptied the sanitizer back out but didn't rinse the bucket with water afterwards? If so that is fine. We never rinse after sanitizing. The little bit of sanitizer that might have been left in the bucket will be so diluted by the 6 gallons of must that it will be insignificant.

As others have said, I think you will be okay if you get it fermenting before wild yeast or spoilage microorganisms have a chance to take root. Get a package of EC-1118 or Red Star Premier Curved yeast. These are the two most common yeast used in Winexpert kits. Your kit probably came with EC-1118 but either one will work fine. Give the must a good stir. Let it settle down and then sprinkle the new yeast on top. I'm betting it will start within 12-24 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Are you saying that you poured sanitizer into the primary bucket and emptied the sanitizer back out but didn't rinse the bucket with water afterwards?

Yep - that is what I did. I'm heading out to the home brew store tomorrow!

Thanks for the great help and support. For good or bad, at least I have a plan.

I just had to re-pitch yeast on one of my kits. The yeast wasn't expired and was just sprinkled as per instructions. When it didn't start i mixed up a stater and fed it must then added that. Humming along nicely now. Shat happens. No big deal. Good luck (not rinsing the sanitizer would not cause any issues. Hasn't for me in 25 years)

cheers

Update

Well thanks everyone. I pitched new yeast and it seems to be working. Not "vigorous" bubbling in the airlock but it certainly seems to be off-gassing a bit so I assume that fermentation is going on. I'll wait the prescribed 5-7 days and then take a hydrometer reading and see how it goes!

Also, you should just let the lid lay on top of the primary and not snapped down. At this point your must needs oxygen.

Well thanks everyone. I pitched new yeast and it seems to be working. Not "vigorous" bubbling in the airlock but it certainly seems to be off-gassing a bit so I assume that fermentation is going on. I'll wait the prescribed 5-7 days and then take a hydrometer reading and see how it goes!

With kits, I do the same thing every time and it works:
Just sprinkle the yeast on top dry.

A bit of sanitizer in primary will not hurt anything.

Heather

If you're concerned about the viability of your yeast, you could also "proof" it. Before you start any of your winemaking, take a cup of warm water add two tablespoons of sugar (cane sugar, corn sugar or DME (Dried Malt Extract)) stir in the yeast and cover with saran/plastic wrap. In a couple of hours, you should see some bubbling or foaming. Then pitch when ready. I've pitched dry, liquid yeasts, made starters, used smack packs. The yeasts have always respected me and done their job. Some required a little more time, almost four days, some became almost volcano like in a couple of hours. My first three batches have been dry pitched.

Yep - that is what I did

Looks like you did everything correctly. Most sanitizers, you do NOT rinse.

Normally, after 48 hours, you should have noticed something. At worst, if you stirred it, it sounds bubbly. If not, then you have a failed yeast, and have to re-pitch the yeast.

Latest posts

Back