Niagara and Blueberry Rose' suggestion??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdtrey12

Reaction score
Soooo...

I have an idea and wanted to see what others think about it. I have an empty primary and carboy. I also have about a dozen cans of Welchs Niagara white grape 100% juice concentrate. I also have a few pounds of blueberries in the freezer. I want to start a 5 gallon batch of Niagara white grape blueberry. I do want it to be a light Rose' type wine, maybe lightly sweeten half of it later.

I was thinking 2 cans of Niagara per gallon and maybe 2 pounds of blueberries in the mesh bag. I may add some tannin or a box of raisins. I don't want the wine to get too dark.

1. Do you think 2 pounds of blueberries during primary will make it too dark if I am looking for a Rose' color?

2. Would you add the raisins?

3. I was thinking of oaking with some light toast later on???

The thought of a nice Niagara Blueberry Rose' next summer has my mouth watering. I will post my final recipe and pics and keep everyone updated.

Experiement started;

10 Cans of Welchs 100% White Niagara grape
2.5 lbs blueberries
1 lb Golden raisins, pulsed in proc.
Pec Enzyme
Approx 4lbs Sugar
Yeast nutrient
Campden
Water to 5 gal.
Starting SG: 1.086

Placed fruit in mesh bag and let all ingredients set for 12-14 hours. Pitched yeast and she is bubbling away. I was a little worried about the color. I really wanted a super light Rose' color and I think the Blueberries bled too much. I am hoping that after Primary and secondary that it has to be lighter. Plus once aged and poured into a glass, I think I should get my color.

I think you're on to something. Most of the time, we are worried about how many pounds of fruit per gallon, getting the most flavor, etc., but I like your idea of a nice, light flavored, light bodied wine. You sure make it sound appealing! The color will definitely lighten up so don't sweat it.

I have done it basically the same except I added a fruit pack of approximately 1 gallon of crushed muscadine ... Very very good. Both dry and sweetened. It didn't last long.

Back