Next step for my blackberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am working with the recipe Tom has posted. I have gotten great help from everyone on this site and need some advice to finish off my first batch of wine. So far I have transfered from the primary to the carboy/airlock. I have about 1.5 inches of sediment. I am getting consistent small bubble. SG reading last night was .996. I know I need to do a racking soon. My funds and supplies are limited. I just ordered my Portugee corker and some corks. I am gonna have to wait a couple weeks to bottle. I already have another 30 lbs of fruit in freezer for next batch so I would prefer not to bulk age.

My plan as of now is to rack into primary. Then back into carboy removing sediment. Then add 1/4 teaspoon of crushed campton tablet, 3 tsp of pot sorbate Then degass by stirring throughly amd back sweeten with my fpac. Should I only use the fpac or should I use simple syrup if needed? Then add a clarifier or fining agent, not sure the difference.

Not sure if what to use Benodite, Supercleer? Should I degass before the clarifier? How long does the clarifier need to work?

I cannot afford a filter at the time and my try to rig something hooky with a gravity feed and paper towels. I am a little concerned with leaving my wine in the carboy after racking. I know I am going to lose volume and dont want to have to add commercial wine.

Thanks in again for any advice you guys and gals have for me. It has been a huge help so far.

:b
Will

I have a batch of blackberry going, taste it after the fpac, it might need some.

2 carboys are good to have, but in a pinch you can rack to the primary then back, not recommended though since there is more exposure.

Get a $3 autofillter

Degas before you add sorbate

Add commercial wine, it won't affect the taste that much and its certainly better than the batch oxidizing, I used a cab franc for my blackberry, cab sav or merlot would work as well.

I'm going to age mine at least 6 months, it will clear on its own, but if you want to drink it fast, use superclear and it will clear in 24 hours, add this after you have finished sweetening it.

HTH

Last edited:
Will
Campden tablets should be added one for each gallon of wine. Sorbate 1/2 teaspoon per gal. After you degas add your f-pac then the Superclear per package instructions. You should plan to let it clear as long as necessary probably about one to two weeks.
When wine has cleared rack it off the lees and you can then bottle any time if your not going to bulk age.
It's not really necessary to filter wine. You should not attempt to filter wine until it has cleared. I bought a filter when I first got into wine making and so far I have never used it. Good Luck
LOUMIK

Thanks for the quick response. That is great advice. What is this $3 autofiller you speak of?

Oops, I see you mentioned filter, not filler.

Don't filter it, if your letting it clear or using superclear, you dont need to filter it.

Latest posts

Back