WineXpert Next Red Kit. Need help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mharris335

Reaction score
I am looking for my next Red Kit. I have a CC Red Mout. Cab in
the primary right now and am wanting the next red. I like most
red wines. I like new world over old world. I am going to
bottle WE Vin Res Red Zin soon and did not like this wine very
much. Way to thin and not enough fruit. Don't care about
cost as long as the wine is good. I have only made three kits so
far and know I don't like the cheaper ones, but don't know whats
good. Please help me.
smiley1.gif

The WE Napa Valley Stag'S Leap District Merlot is a winner!

Most of the posts will show that the Vintners Reserve are thin. Our first kit was a VR and the 2nd kit was a Selection Estate (which is still in the primary). The Selection Estate had 2x the amount of juice so the amount of water that was added to the primary was far less than the VR kit, so it's not surprisingtheVR'staste thin.

I too would love to hear what others have made and what it would compare to in a commerical wine after it's aged for a year. We uncorked a 2004 Shiraz from Rosemont Estates and it was so good, I'm thinking of making a shiraz after this batch of pinot noir is out of the primary with the hopes it would be close!!

GrapeApe.

Mharris335 - - I've tasted the SuperTuscan its very nice, ggod body and taste. I think it will be my next in the primary...

I just stab and cleared a Luna Rossa. I think this one is going to real nice as well, smells wonderful.

Keep us informed on what you decide.

Michael I will don't worry, I am addicted to the forum.

Are all kit wine that you pay over $100 for good and does the fruit
taste like commercial wine? Also does the Merlot kits taste like
Merlot Grapes or do the kits all taste the same? I guess thats
what I am asking and wanted to know before I make the next
perchase.

From all the kits I have made, they certainly all taste different and certainly all reputable kit manufacturers use the proper varietals in their kits. If you buy a Merlot it will use Merlot(etc), Like commercial wines, some will taste better to you, some not as good. The more expensive kits with larger juice packs generally make wines with more body and usually more flavor.

With your experience with the CC Red Mountain Cab, have you thought about the CC Rosso Fortissimo? I have yet to hear anyone that disliked it. I have my second one ageing. Also, the Mosti line that George carries offers all sorts of possibilities. I currently have 5 in various stages of production with several more on order.

Has anyone tried the WE Lodi Ranch II Cab. Sauvignon? Looking for one of the higher end red kits also!!! I currently have the WE Trinity Red and IM Black Raspberry Merlot going now.

I've really fallen for the Mosit kits. The RE078 Amarone with raisins, I really like. I'm strictly a red wine person, and have found this Amarone to be outstanding. I currently have in the carboy the Mosti Mondiale Masters addition. I plan on purchaseing a few more of the Mosti brand wines, since they to me seem outstanding.

jsmahoney, do you have to use the 7.9 gal primary for this kit? I have read that the raisins cause more foaming than other kits...wouldn't want to loose any!!!How do these kits compare to the WE kits? Thanks

I have made most of the kits mentioned so far. The CC Rosso Fortissimo is the best kit I have made thus far. The WE Super Tuscan is the same type wine and should rank right with the Rosso (also a Super Tuscan). The Stag's Leap Merlot is fantastic. I don't know if the WELodi RanchCab is like the WEWoodbridge IICab but I know the Woodbridge II Cab is killer. I have found that any of the WE Estate Series kits to be great. Just give them time. I haven't made a Mosti kit yet but do have one of the Port kits here to start. Just remember what I said earlier. With any of the big kits, give them time. Look toward two years or better and you will be pleased.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I'm with Masta the Stags Leap Merlot is a good choice. The Lodi II Cab is good too.

jsmahoney, do you have to use the 7.9 gal primary for this kit? I have read that the raisins cause more foaming than other kits...wouldn't want to loose any!!!How do these kits compare to the WE kits? Thanks

Flaco, I used the fermentation bucket which was purchased with George's kits. It is the 7.9 gal primary. If you go to the Mosti Mondiale section and click on Third Day Amarone.....Part II That is my first attempt at the Mosti Mondiale Renaissance. I lost about five bottles. Also, in the same section check out Outback Shiraz Mondiale. I believe Masta had the same eruption on his batch and explains why the eruption.

As far as comparison to the WE kits! The Mosti MondialeAmarone Renaissance was my first kit. I'm now working on the Mosit Mondiale-All Juice Masters Edition Amarone AJME078. I plan on purchasing more of the Mosti Kits. The Amarone Renaissance is outstanding, and have trouble leaving it alone (will plan on another purchase of it soon)! Yet, again that is personal preference, everyone has different tastes. I for one, feel the Mosti kits are premium kits and feel confident that the results of these Mosti kitsare at their best. I'm hooked on the Mosti Brand for now. I do plan to purchase a Crushendo in the near future also going by the chart Wade posted at: Kit Wine Making: Winexpert "The Magic Chart from Tim Vandergrift" Hope that helps! Good Luck!Edited by: jsmahoney

Thanks jsmahoney, you might have just convinced me to go witha Mosti kit!!!! Of course with a 10 gal primary
smiley36.gif

Damn, there are too many good wines for me to choose. I was
hopeing that there would be one that every one said is the best.
Thank you all for your help.
smiley20.gif

I recommend the Luna Rossa!! Just bottled mine and it is outstanding!! Also, getting ready to bottle the Oregon Pinot Noir which is already outstanding!!!

Goodluck with your decision!!

Latest posts

Back