newbies (in Minnesota too!)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelican

Reaction score
Bachelor friend and girlfriend of "Hag of the North" (he said that !! not me), have initiated wine experience. Wish to pick all brains - Hi Lorraine!
smiley17.gif

We have just gotten a 1-gal scratch kit (just to start off with, not a lot of room for the big (Car)Boys -- and have jars and jars of grape juice and chokecherry juice, not to mention some reputedly vile cranberry juice. Bachelor says correction, it's not reputed, it's actually vile. Ok, so skip the cranberry for the first batch at least.

Looking for recipes for the grape-chokecherry starting with juice extracted with the Mehu-Liisa ... what proportions would make for an acceptable wine? Do we simply mix with water till we get the right specific gravity?

We'll start there!

Thanks in advance...

"Pelican" kids - Duane & Susan

Welcome Pelican,Ill let the Chokecherry pros chime in on their recipe. They will be here shortly Im sure!

It sounds like you are friends of Northern Winos. Glad to have you aboard. She should see your post and respond to you. Maybe not as quick as usual with Christmas and all. You could try a search for chokecherry using all times and dates and you should find one of her recipes. Like this:

http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4045&KW=chokecherry&PID=55334#55334

<TABLE =tableBorder style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center>
<T>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider vAlign=top height=150>
<DIV =msg style=": left; OVERFLOW: auto">Started another Chokecherry Wine today...

The "Usual Cast of Characters"

chokecherrySmall.jpg

Used the same recipe as before...Nice...just measure out the sugar and the S.G. ends upthe sameas before...

fog.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~CHOKECHERRY WINE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 QUARTS JUICE = 22# STEAMED EXTRACTED CHOKECHERRIES
2 BOTTLES WINEXPERT RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE
7 1/2# SUGAR
6 1/2 CAMPDEN TABLETS
3 tsp LIQUID TANNIN
4 tsp ACID BLEND
2 oz AMERICAN OAK CHIPS [TOASTED]
2 VANILLA BEANS
10 TOASTED PEPPERCORNS
S.G. 1.085 water to 6 1/2 gallons

Tomorrow:
3 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER
6 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT
LALVIN RC-212 YEAST

Another favorite on the way.

</TD></TR>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px">
<DIV =msgSignature style=": left; OVERFLOW: auto">Northern Minnesota </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Thanks for the welcomes - Wade &amp; Appleman.
And thanks for the refresh of the Chokecherry &amp; Red Grape recipe.

It looks like the proportions are a full load of the juice and just a bit of water to round out if necessary... that's definitely a help in figuring out "now what?"

I guess the next step too is get some of that red grape concentrate.

I found a post re: the Valiant grapes needing some red grape concentrate to take the edge off the Concord taste. Seeing as the grape juice in the jars is from same Valiants, that's good to know!

We'll have to gather extra wine bottles now so we have some for us to use too. Then again "the girlfriend" (moi) has no problem emptying bottles that come from the commercial wineries (LOL). Though I might have to switch to the bargain jug wines to get some extra frugal 1 gal. secondaries...

Susan / Pelican X 0.5

pelican said:
Bachelor friend and girlfriend of "Hag of the North" (he said that !! not me), have initiated wine experience. Wish to pick all brains - Hi Lorraine!
smiley17.gif

We have just gotten a 1-gal scratch kit (just to start off with, not a lot of room for the big (Car)Boys -- and have jars and jars of grape juice and chokecherry juice, not to mention some reputedly vile cranberry juice. Bachelor says correction, it's not reputed, it's actually vile. Ok, so skip the cranberry for the first batch at least.

Looking for recipes for the grape-chokecherry starting with juice extracted with the Mehu-Liisa ... what proportions would make for an acceptable wine? Do we simply mix with water till we get the right specific gravity?

We'll start there!

Thanks in advance...

"Pelican" kids - Duane &amp; Susan

YIKES!!!
I never saw this POST till today....How could I have missed it????

"HAG OF THE NORTH"

That's too funny.....
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Hi Moose, welcome to you too! Sure are a lot of us here from GREATer Minnesota it seems - gotta balance out those Texans I guess.
LOL - NorthernWinos - make sure you also note the "(he said that !! not me)"

Latest posts

Back