WineXpert Newbie looking for some Advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesegod99

Junior
Reaction score
Hey there! I've been looking to get into winemaking for a few months
now, and I finally joined this site because it seems the most customer
friendly - and I think I'm finally ready to start purchasing equipment
to get started. I want to start off with a vintner's reserve chianti,
but I am not really sure which equipment is "essential" and which is
just "nice to have." I have done quite a bit of research (mostly on
this site) and I am planning on buying the Basic kit that is in the
store, along with some bottles. Is there anything else I should buy
that would make life a lot easier as a winemaker? I am particularly
curious as to whether a second carboy would be necessary to rack into.
As another interesting side note, I am planning on making my first
batches of wine in a dorm room over the summer (don't worry - I'm
21!)... any ideas and suggestions from those of you who have done this
many times in the past?

cheesegod99

I would recommend a bottle tree along with the basic kit. This is great in holding your bottles and draining them out after cleaning and sanitizing. George's beginner kit is very inclusive and has a lot of fine equipment in it. If you decide against the tree you will still have everything to make a successful first batch of kit wine.

Now remember after your first batch you must send everyone who responds to your message a bottle of wine
smiley2.gif

earl

I found the second carboy a real winner -- and George has them on sale! Plus, I quickly figured that buying bottles along with the shipping was money that could be used for other goodies. I went to a high-end restaurant at a top hotel and spoke with the food and beverage manager -- they only save me bottles on weekends but I still get 2-3 cases a week -- and that adds up!

Have fun -- it's a great learning experience -- next thing you know, you'll be wanting to transfer to UC-Davis and major in their wine making program -- the best there is!

I heartily agree with a second carboy and the bottle tree is very handy as well. If you get a second carboy, I think the Buon Vino Automatic Auto Bottle Gravity Filler (29.95) is the best addition you can make (besides oak to the wine during aging). That really makes filling bottles a breeze.

Now if only there was something that would make cleaning and prepping used bottles a breeze!

Have fun!

Thanks for the tips so far... my only concern with the extra carboy and
the bottle draining tree is the space - how much room do they take up?
As I said, I'm in a college dorm, so space is a bit on the limited
side...

George will sell you everything you'll need to make perfect wine with the basic start up kit. Pay off the R.A. with a couple bottles of wine and get a bigger dorm room, Bootleg the rest of the wine at President's graduation party and buy more stuff.Money was a problem for me in college so I would stick to the basic kit.

Keep in mind the temperature - you don't want it to get too hot during the fermentation. Don't know if your dorm room has AC. Heck, when I was in a dorm, I had to go down the hall for the bathroom.

Also, if you don't get a Buon bottler and go with just a cane - practice a few times with it - it can get really messy bottling wine - especially red. I like the bottler, because I rarely spill more than a drop or two during the course of filling 30 bottles.

I am still new to the hobby and have been making wine since September. I am about to start kit #10. If you are only making one kit at a time, I don't think the extra carboy is necessary. I would spend the extra $40 and go for the Deluxe Package George has. The bottle tree, the vinator and the mix-stir are well worth the extra money in time saved cleaning your bottles and degassing your wine. I find the better stirrer saves time and energy in removing the CO2 from the wine. The vinator makes it a breeze to get cleaner and santizer in your bottles while the tree gets them to drip dry.

Using the Buon Vino is truly wonderful and efficient but not a necessitiy if money will not allow for it. Just be prepared for a little dripping from the cane and practice with it before using.

I hope you know what you are getting into, this is a very addictive hobby...
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Lenore

If I only get one carboy, what do I rack into from that? Do I rack back into the primary and then back into the carboy?

Thanks again for all your great suggestions so far!

Oh and my room is absolutely not air conditioned - although I'm in
Central NY, the weather can still get above 90 in July/August. My
roomate for the summer and I were planning on getting a room cooler
(window ACs are not allowed). Hopefully that will keep the wine in a
satisfactory range.

With the Vinter's Reserve kits, you usually only have to rack once from the primary to the carboy. With the higher end kits, you need to rerack from one carboy into another. I have racked into the primary, cleaned my carboy and then racked it back into it again. I don't know what to say about the temp. Perhaps you can make a bunch of wine when the temp is not so hot?

You'll be fine with George's basic kit for your first kit, but be forwarned........ you'll want more real quick...........

And Welcome to the forum.

PS....... I'm only replying in case post #2 of this thread comes true..........
smiley36.gif

Cheesegod99

You could ask a hundered folks how they rack and you will get 100 different answers. There is only 1 racking per the instructions of a VR kit, that is from primary to carboy. Personally, when the wine is clear and ready to bottle I rack back to the primary and bottle from there using my spigot on the outside of the primary.I have a bottle filler but the spigot works great. I takes me just a few minutes to get the bottles full using the spigot. The great thing about this is that you will learn what works best for you and every kit you do will get easier and better. I messed up my first one and have learned a bunch since then.

earl

Here's wishing you luck! You can rack back into your primary for bottling and use the spigot. If you have help bottling there shouldn't be a need for any special bottling equipment. Too bad you don't have room for a floor corker!

If you're using a hand corker I highly recommend having someone else hold the bottle while you push the cork. And set it on something low, like a chair, so you can lean over it. Much easier than a counter or table.

We'll all be here all summer, so if you need some advice you know where to find us!

To me, it looks like the basic starter equipment package will work for the first time. If you get into the hobby/additiction, you will start adding upgrades like carboys, etc quickly. I would highly recommend adding oak (see March newsletter).

My final recommendation is to make sure you call and talk to George when / before you order. He really is the expert and listens very well to his customers - you don't have to worry about George selling you something you don't need. Ask him about ambient temp in the room as well.
smiley4.gif

Cheesegod99:

I wanted you to remember that newly registered members get a 5% discount on their first order (I think you get a code number it has been a long time) - if you call to order, I would think George would remember.

Also (and this in not a self-serving plug) - if you give a current member as a referal, they will get a coupon worth 10% of your first order. So if you liked anyone's advice or even their name - you could mention them and you both win.
smiley20.gif

One last note about George and ordering from FVW - it really is a 100% (maybe more) satisfaction guarantee. If you have read a lot of postings you will see that. If not, ask Smurf!

Thank you so much for all the great input - I can't believe how helpful
everyone has been. I think to start off with I'm just going to get the
basic kit and the compact bottle drainer - I'll see how I do and then
upgrade once I have some more experience. Also, I found a great
professor who's willing to keep me in empty bottles (He's quite a lover
of wine)

Oh, and Jobe - I would send everyone a bottle but then I wouldn't have any left for myself!

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by: cheesegod99

I just bottled my first batch and would reccomend the Buon Vino Automatic Bottle filler. I can't imagine how much time and hassle it saved me. If you don't get this then use the spigot on the primary instead of the filling wand you get in the kit, but the difference in price for the auto filler is slight and definately worth it. George should include this item in his kits, "hint, hint". I would also second or third or whatever the extra carboy for the higher end kits, nice to only have to move the wine once when racking, just be careful as they seem to multiply when you have 2 or more around.

Steve

Steve:

I'm with you - completely
smiley2.gif
. I remember almost getting run out of the house the one time I bottled without the Buon filler. Now bottling is one of the easiest things I do.

I suppose George needs to draw a line somewhere, and theremight bethe rare occasion that a person quites after his first kit
smiley3.gif
. Then that is an extra $60 to the newbie.

Those carboys are worse than rabbits.

You will be fine with whatever kit you choose to go with. The extras are really a time saving/convenience issue and when money is primary concern extras are just that. George's store is the only one I found that really sells you a complete kit that really has everything you could need.You can always add more to it later. Which wine kit did you decide to start with?

Welcome cheesegod99,

Sorry I didn't get to chime in here quicker but I have had a rough week with some family issues but things are getting back to normal. I am glad to hear you picked this forum and FVW as your source for help and supplies. George's passion for wine making and customer service is unmatched and this forum has followed his lead and I am sure you will get all the help and encouragement you need to succeed at making your own wine.

Latest posts

Back