New wine-Strawberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.arkvinomaker

Reaction score
I've been wanting to experiment with a digital pressure cooker I have to steam fruit to see if I can extract the juice this way and what kind of effect it would have on flavor.I had 9# of some excellent strawberrys from Arkansas that needed to be used up . I did this in batches with 2# frozen strawberrys 3 C. water and 4 oz. sugar. The ingrediants were combined, lid locked in and digital timer set to 15 minutes. Under a high flame the water is up to temp. and pressure built. Timer automatically kicks in when stream starts flowing. I was able to extract 18 c. juice after 4 batches. The flavor and smell are intensely strawberry. I let cool and added pectic enzyme to set overnight. The next day the following ingredients were combined in a cup of water and dissolved. Sugar was dissolved and added to reach 10.6% potental alcohol. Yeast was pitched the next day. Here are the total ingredients. Preparations started 11/12/20071.080s.g.alcohol10.6%
5 qts. strawberry juice from 9# fruit
7 1/4# sugar
1 1/2 gal. water
1 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
4 oz welches frozen white grape juice
1 33oz Jumex strawberry bannana nectar from concentrate
2 cans welches frozen strawberry breeze
1/4 tsp tannin
1/4 Meta
2 tsp acid blend
2 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
The Welches strawberry was added to stretch the batch closer to 3 gal. The flavor is there. Ididn't want ahigh alcohol wine because I'm trying to achieve a very fruit forward wine here. I net about 9 cups of juice after subtracting starting water with my pressure experiment. How does this sound in comparison to what some of you are doing with your juice extractors?

Looks like a good recipe David. As for the comparison I can't really say as I have never juiced any strawberries but sounds like it may be close.

I haven't juiced strawberries yet either. However, thus far I have steamed blueberries, pears and apples. The blueberry wine has been racked to ssecondary and is clearing. It tastes great even at this early age. The pear wine is also in secondary. It has produced a lot more lees than the blueberry and is a quite "hot" at this stage--time will tell.

I am definitely becoming a fan of steaming.

Looks like a good recipe David. Sounds yummy. Keep us posted. Ive tasted your wines so I know this will come out good.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

We make Strawberry wine on a regular basis....I steam extract the juice.

Up to now I have mixed WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate with the strawberry juice, it makes a really nice red wine.

I have recently acquired some Alexander's Wine Concentrate and plan on making the 2 Burgundy cans with some strawberry juice...another winter project to be done.

Thanks everyone. The fermentation has started. I willcontinue to stir twice a day. I actually started three at the same time but didn't want to take up too much space here. The strawberry, a sand plum and a white muscadine. There three white muscadines I'm experimenting with. the first with 5# of fruit per gal. The second is a five gal batch of pure juice and the new one is a 1 gal of steamed fruit. Trying to see which will have the most intense muscadine flavor.

Will be interested to see how your comparison of the steamed fruit goes. How many pounds of fruit did you steam for the one gallon batch???
What is a sand plum???

On the one gal batch I used one bag of Muscadines which was 5#.
Sand plums were brilliant red like a Marochino Cherry (I think I spelled that right) and about the same size. Maybe someone has more to add about Sand Plums but I know I have been searching for them for a couple of years now and someone at work wanted some Muscadines so they had
some sand Plums in the freezer they were willing to trade so I jumped at the chance to try some. I told them how long I had been looking for some
so it worked out great
smiley32.gif
I had read some where how great they are as a wine so.... I tasted the juice before adding yeast and like every plum wine I made before it had a nice flavor. Had alittle bit of a bite to it. I don't know how else to describe it but I can blend that out at time of finish if it is still there. This is my 4th different plum variety I will have made. I have a black plum, Pluot Plum, and Red Plum wines which will be a year old in Dec. I will
use the black plum to blend with a white zen. Thank you Waldo, again, for the idea. I will use the pluot plum to blend with a peach. Peach and plum are a good combo. They work well together.

Sounds great Northern Winos. Strawberry wine has a tendency to be a bit thin so the grape concentrates should work well to add body. I have about 4 oz. of Welches grape concentrate more for the tannins than anything. I'm want to see how the flavor is after a year of aging. I can always blend a grape wine just before bottling if it needs it for added body. I'm hoping for a wine that actually taste like strawberry. Bethel Winey in altus Arkansas makes a Strawberry wine that tastes like fresh strawberys. There's is what I want mine to grow up to be.

Hi there Smokegrub. I have a Red Pear wine due in January. Can't wait to try it. It will have aged a year. After tryingAsian, Barlet, Red and some others I decided the red had the most intense flavor because of the skin. The recipe said the pear takes spices like cinnamin and ginger well but I thought I'd try it without for my first one to see how it comes out.

I have used no spices either. I figured I could always add some, if needed, while the wine aged in the secondary,

Latest posts

Back