New vineyard soil question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hartford County CT River Valley Connecticut
I'm considering planting a vineyard on a piece of some farmland I own since I'm out of room at home for more vines. The land is upland near the Connecticut river and is well drained silty loam per USDA. I've owned the property for about ten years and it has been a good vegetable field for my tenant. The topsoil is very deep and free from stones. This deep soil is making me think about the wisdom of planting grapes there. To be clear I would only use a small area as the grapes would be for my home winemaking. My concern is that the soil might be too good. The pros are that I own the property already and the river moderates the temps so the frosts hit a bit later there. Any thoughts on this?

I don't see any real problems with using that location as long as it doesn't periodically flood. Grapes love well drained loamy soils although they tolerate much less perfect soils. You might have a vigor problem but you should be able to deal with that.

Sounds like a nice lot with the river an all as long as it has good air flow and sun exposure. The main factor is if the soil drains well, e.g. a square foot hole will not hold water more than 24 hours. Another big factor is the PH level. Most resources say between 5.5 and 7 but more recent studies show that a PH of 6 to 6.5 is prime. A soil test wouldn't hurt. I agree with Grapeman in that you might have a vigor problem so you might consider planting a low vigor variety of grape vine or space the vines further apart to allow for more growth. Six feet is standard so maybe go 8ft.

Thanks for the input Grapeman and BChilders.

I did check the pH and it is 6.2 which is good. Vigor was my main concern.

Any recommendations for a lower vigor white variety? I'm zone 6 here. I like Cayuga a lot but it will probably be too vigorous? Something like that would be good though.

Cayuga shouldn't be too vigorous. You might take steps to leach off the N in the soil to decrease vigor. I know that sawdust will absorb it but there are better ways. Cover crop selection might be an important decision to that end.

Cayuga is a very vigorous variety here and that is accentuated in years of heavy bud damage. If you get a cold winter and get a lot of bud injury, you have too few shoots to control the vigor. I have seen the shoots grow 15 feet or more in that type of year.

Cayuga is a very vigorous variety here and that is accentuated in years of heavy bud damage. If you get a cold winter and get a lot of bud injury, you have too few shoots to control the vigor. I have seen the shoots grow 15 feet or more in that type of year.

How does the vigor of your Cayuga compare to Traminette or Baco?

Cayuga has been very vigorous for me at home (I have them trained VSP), which was my concern when I posted this. That said it has been a great grape to work with and makes very good wines for me. I also have liked most of the wines I've purchased that are made from it.

I've re-thought my expansion plans a bit since my first posting. A friend gave me an undevelopable lot, about a tenth of an acre, he owned a few lots away from me. It has the same sandy loam with small stones that I have at home and only a $30 a year tax bill. Plus I can keep a better eye on it than the farm lot. I've got some Cayuga ordered to plant on it this spring.

So unless (or until) I outgrow the new lot, I won't be planting the farm lot, but I thank everybody for their input and insight on this thread, which has given me more to think about when I do plant out there.

Latest posts

Back