New vineyard in S.E. Georgia

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That recommendation makes more sense. The more information we ger, the better we can see if it seems right. 1/4 pound once a month can mean 3 pounds per year (about 1200-1500 pounds per acre), which would be way too much and cause problems. 1/4 pound once a month for 4 months is 1 pound per vine or about 300-400 pounds per year-much better.

Haredening off is more of an issue farther north, but happens before winter. It prpares the vine for the dormant season, which really happens everywhere, even where it is warm all year. The vines may not lose all the leaves, but they need the period to prepare for the next growing season. Sort of like a bear- it goes to sleep in cold weather- doesn't shed all it's fur or die. There is a lot more to it than that, but should give you a quick idea on it.

Good luck with the vines. In a few years, you will be swimming in wine!

I checked the extension web site and they list captan and pristine as some of the better fungicides for my area. I tried to find someone local who sells them but no one here does. I guess one of the dis-advantages of living in a small town. So my question is what do you guys use for fungicides and pesticides and where do you get them? By the way got the second row done and planted the carlos vines. Thanks.

Try Lowes or Home Depot for Captan. If you have any large home garden centers try them. I use CPS - Crop Prtotection Services for my spray material where you can get a much better selection of them, but you buy in commercial amounts. One source you may not think of is ebay.

talk to any local farmer..he will know who the travelling salesman is

appleman said:
That recommendation makes more sense. The more information we ger, the better we can see if it seems right. 1/4 pound once a month can mean 3 pounds per year (about 1200-1500 pounds per acre), which would be way too much and cause problems. 1/4 pound once a month for 4 months is 1 pound per vine or about 300-400 pounds per year-much better.

Haredening off is more of an issue farther north, but happens before winter. It prpares the vine for the dormant season, which really happens everywhere, even where it is warm all year. The vines may not lose all the leaves, but they need the period to prepare for the next growing season. Sort of like a bear- it goes to sleep in cold weather- doesn't shed all it's fur or die. There is a lot more to it than that, but should give you a quick idea on it.

Good luck with the vines. In a few years, you will be swimming in wine!

It is per vine....... I will use 2#'s per month for 4 vines this season. Bought a 50# bag and that will also do me for the citrus trees and fig tree as well.

OK did a lot of work in the vineyard Friday and today. Got all the tilling do
20100501_203808_DSCF0509.JPG
ne, and posts in. Looks like drip line and wire tomorrow. When looking at the vines I have already planted I noticed one of them had waht looks like a bloom maybe. Do I need to pinch this off for these first year babies? I tried to take a pic so you could see.

You can get cuttings that will have flower buds, but you don't want to leave them on. Take yours off also this year or it will stunt growth and you get poor grapes anyways if you don't.

I need some help to identify what is going on with this blanc du bois grape vines. I only have two plants that have leaves like in the picture and only the blanc du bois have this. Ifsomeone can idenitify this from the pictures and give me some ideas how to get rid of it. Thanks.
20100731_182932_DSCF0707.JPG
20100731_183059_DSCF0708.JPG

It could possibly be black rot, but I don't think so. I think it is just old leaves that have been robbed of their nutrients such as nitrogen. The younger leaves look fine which leads me to suspect this. I would pick off those leaves and dispose of them. Have you kept up with spray and if so what?

The Daconil is a general purpose fungicide doing a fair job in holding disease off. I still suspect it isn't bad, but keep up spraying the daconil.

Back