new experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corn field

Reaction score
While going to DesMoine yesterday my wife and I was discussing some of the juiceses we were going to get for wine to hold us over before the gardens start to produce. I sugested a apple juice wine and my wife sugested to put spiceses in it. To make a long story short she sugested to put red hots in it. The little cinnamon candies one puts on candied yams. She said as a child her mother would heat up apple cider and put red hots in it as a late fall and winter drink. She is the one that came up withe idea of chocolate strawberry which is a big hit. So my queston is has any one used these candies and could any one make some sugestions. Edited by: corn field

Don't over do the spices....maybe make a nice apple wine and add the spices when serving....Just my opinion.

I made a nice spiced apple wine using the mulling spices in a steeper. The mulling spices are the ones that you would use to make warm cider and I also added raisins and cinnamon sticks to it and it came out very nice but also took awhile to come around from all the spices. This will be a batch that needs pectic enzyme!

I went too heavy on the spices. I will add them to the secondary after the wine has cleared next time. That way I will be able to taste regularly and bottle when it tastes the way I want it to.

You might want to consider making two, one gallon tests.
One with the red hot spices you're considering added during the fermentation/ ageing process and the other adding no spices at all until you finally open the aged bottle.

In my unsolicited opinion, I would'nt add redhots to any wine, I would think that the redhotswould over power the flavor of thefruit andI'd be vastly disapointed in the final results.
It'd be a shame to wait that long and find nothing of use afterwards.

Ergo, having asecond gallon to play with byadding smaller measurements of the redhots would be a failsafe.

Best of luck.

thanks to every one that responded. After considering you'lls answers I will make a gallon and play with it after it has finished and ready to bottle like you said handyman I will have much more controle that way. The wife is hard set on this wine and doesent want to add red hots at drinking time. So I will go with adjusting at bottling, well just before bottling at back sweeting time. Thanks again for the openions

Back