New batch, new questions!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georges

Junior
Reaction score
...and some about the old batch!

Ok so I measured my SG of my RJS GCI Oz Cab Sauv today as the bubbling is slowing down: SG 1.000 at most (maybe a tiny bit under with meniscus).
So i washed my hands, squeezed out the grape skins, removed wood etc and racked to secondary. No great dramas.

Seeing I had an empty primary bucket i went to LHBS. They didn't have much stock- new shipment next week. But they sold me two boxes of cellar craft sterling 12 L whites (reserve californian chardy and californian pinot grigio) for half price as they are no longer carrying CC now. Also got a new carboy.

So I have started with the chardonnay. All went in the bucket as per instructions. Unlike the RJS kit, they said to mix up the bentonite separately and add it after taking the primary SG reading. is this because bentonite would push the reading up? its more complicated that just chucking it in the bucket.
Primary SG: 1.110! this seems high.

Questions:

1. There is a slight acid taste to my red when i racked to secondary. also tastes very alcoholic. The SG was 1.100 initially- will this make the wine very alcoholic? is this because the grapes were too ripe? brix too high? or is it pushed up by the bentonite in the bucket as per RJS instructions? should i worry about the slight tarte taste? if it is heading for an EtOH of 15% is there anything i can do? i have considered topping up with dealcoholized red wine.

2. By this logic, the white with a starting SG of 1.110 without bentonite is headed for a very high alcohol?? are these values all too high or am i missing something? i have got some special white wine yeast for this batch and fermenting at lower temperature.

Cheers!

g

Both of the starting SG's you mention are higher than would be expected, so it could be that you have not added as much water as needed to get to 23 liters in the bucket. Sometimes the initial mixing of juice and water isn't done vigorously enough and if a higher concentration of juice ended up on top that could give you a false high reading as well. Failing these two possibilities, the hydrometer itself could be off but not likely that much - did you calibrate it in water? I don't see the bentonite affecting the reading.

The starting SG is a bit high - could explain the high alcohol taste. What was the TA reading?

I have had 1.10 starting SG on pretty much every Cellar Craft Showcase wine made so its not all that unusual for a Premium kit. Usually the cheaper kits are down in the ~1.08 starting levels. Are you certain you know where your 23L mark is on your Primary? That is important and you should make sure of where it is. Like Dugger said, make sure the juice is mixed well before taking the initial SG. You want to take the reading before adding the Bentonite as that would be the true must reading. Its doubtful that small amount of Bentonite would raise it much but for accuracy sake that would be the most accurate reading you could get.

Here is a handy ABV Calculator. If 1.1 SG ferments to 0.996 that is only 13.9% ABV not 15%. I would not add anything other than an inexpensive like top off (and you live in the land of inexpensive top off wine....Yellow Tail!) wine when you need it at the end. Don't top off with water or you will have a pretty thin tasting wine, especially with the lower end kits.

Remember, your making wine, not beer mate. It will taste "green" at first but will then settle down over the next few months and will start to become what it was meant to be. Don't rush it! Buy as much commercial wine as you need to keep temptation at bay. Start collecting the empty's for bottling when the time comes.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back