need some recomendations please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck-crisler

Reaction score
I am about to place an order for my wine making supplies and would really appreciate some recommendations. I have been reading the 'how to' forum and this 'newbie' forum, but there is a lot to absorb. I am continuing to read but need to get started. I hope to have Foch, Frontenaec, Marquette, Chancellor and Baco Noir for reds and Cayuga. I hope to get 1-3 gallons per variety, but we shall see...

1. What yeast(s) should I purchase?
2. I anticipate doing a secondary fermentation on the Frontenaec and Marquette. Should I need to with the others? Would it be beneficial? Will I have a better idea when I crush and measure acid, etc?
3. Is it reasonable to take enough grapes the day before harvest to measure TA and pH, etc?
4. I read elsewhere that I should anticipate 12-16 lbs of red grapes per gallon. Is that using small grapes such as Foch? Or are almost all red grapes small (all of mine are)?
5. How many lbs of grapes per gallon for whites, specifically Cayuga?
6. Should the initial fermentation for reds be done in an open bucket (well, I guess covered, but not sealed)? I do have some 5 gallon (6?) food grade plastic wine buckets. I will scrub them out maybe this weekend using last year's meta and soda.
7. How do I go about crushing? I made 1 gallon of Cayuga 2 yrs ago and just used a potato masher. Got kinda tired... 3 gallons seems a bit intimidating now, more is worse (but better).
8. With reds, do you crush and immediately press or just crush to let them ferment 'on the skins' and then try to press the mess later? I have a fruit press (and even think that I know how to use it!). If you just crush, how hard/much? I read elsewhere about 'pureed' grapes, I'll try not to do that. I anticipate using the pectic enzyme.

My plan had been to make a limited quantify last year but unknown critters ate all of my fruit. This year the vines are bigger and there are more varieties with good fruit so I am in worse shape - less preparation than I had hoped/planned and more fruit means more opportunities to really mess up. I have worked pretty hard to get the vineyard to this point, I really don't want to blow it now.

Thank you to everyone who has already contributed to this forum and Thank You to anyone and everyone who provides me some 'hand holding'.

1. What yeast(s) should I purchase?

Depends on what kind of wine you want to make. I tend to keep numerous types on hand. I really like Montrachet for red wines since it gives a really good flavor. Works also for white wines. Lavlin D47 works well for white wines. Pasteur Red is good for heavy reds, but watch out it makes a lot of foam. And you should always keep a few packets of EC-1118 on hand to finish off any stuck fermentations. I also use Pasteur Champagne and Premier Cuvee yeast.

2. I anticipate doing a secondary fermentation on the Frontenaec and Marquette. Should I need to with the others? Would it be beneficial? Will I have a better idea when I crush and measure acid, etc?

Not quite sure what you're asking here. Usually all wines go through a secondary fermentation after the primary. Primary is when you go from your starting SG down to about 1.010 or so, usually after a week, and secondary is when you let it sit under airlock for another week or so while it finishes out to 1.000 or below.

3. Is it reasonable to take enough grapes the day before harvest to measure TA and pH, etc?

Always a good idea to test acid of your juice.

4. I read elsewhere that I should anticipate 12-16 lbs of red grapes per gallon. Is that using small grapes such as Foch? Or are almost all red grapes small (all of mine are)?

Obviously you'll tend to get more juice out of larger grapes than smaller ones, but most grapes are usually close to the same size. I think that's why they say 12-16 lbs per gallon.

5. How many lbs of grapes per gallon for whites, specifically Cayuga?

Not sure, but I'd go with the 12-16 lbs idea.

6. Should the initial fermentation for reds be done in an open bucket (well, I guess covered, but not sealed)? I do have some 5 gallon (6?) food grade plastic wine buckets. I will scrub them out maybe this weekend using last year's meta and soda.

That's the best way to do it, though I've often started primary in a carboy when just using juice. But with pressed fruit I like to use my 6 gallon plastic bucket so I can put a bag full of the pressed fruit pulp in.

7. How do I go about crushing? I made 1 gallon of Cayuga 2 yrs ago and just used a potato masher. Got kinda tired... 3 gallons seems a bit intimidating now, more is worse (but better).

Get a really big bucket, take your shoes off, and start stomping. No, seriously I bought a fruit press which works really well but something like that is not always in someone's budget. I have used an electric juicer in the past with decent results. However, if your grapes have seeds I wouldn't go this route because the seeds will probably impart bitterness into the wine.

8. With reds, do you crush and immediately press or just crush to let them ferment 'on the skins' and then try to press the mess later? I have a fruit press (and even think that I know how to use it!). If you just crush, how hard/much? I read elsewhere about 'pureed' grapes, I'll try not to do that. I anticipate using the pectic enzyme.

I try to get as much juice out of the fruit as possible. Then when I'm done I will take the fruit and put it in a nylon mesh paint strainer bag and put that into the fermenting must, being sure to push it down once a day, at least. Of course, pectic enzyme is a must when using fresh, pressed fruit as it will not only remove the chance of a pectic haze, but will keep breaking down the cell walls of the fruit and allow more flavor into the wine.

Not quite sure what you're asking here. Usually all wines go through a secondary fermentation after the primary. Primary is when you go from your starting SG down to about 1.010 or so, usually after a week, and secondary is when you let it sit under airlock for another week or so while it finishes out to 1.000 or below.

I am pretty sure the OP meant a malolactic fermentation (or true secondary), not what you described, which we sort of carelessly call "secondary fermentation." Unfortunately, I am not in a position to answer the OP's question!

Back