Need kit suggestions Have been out of winemaking for a couple of years

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
The last good wine kit I used turned out bad. It was a highly rated kit but I let it sit too long (I suppose) before using (life got in the way). I am considering getting a good kit that I feel will turn out good. What kits are hot right now. I am open to a white or red. I prefer white but I am under the impression that whites often miss the mark.

What is out there now that you think produces a better wine. Thanks.

Ive been using Wine Experts kits to make some pretty good orange blush and regular blush sangria. its been very well received by my taste testers lol. The ABV is pretty middle of the road and is a all around nice glass. Good luck

Among my favorite white wine kits is the Luna Bianca from WineExpert. I haven't made it in several years, but last time I made it. It makes a very drinkable Chardonnay like wine. I prefer my whites a bit thicker than most do and this certainly hit that spot. In my basement ready to make now, I have a RJ Spangonols Cru Select Italian Bella Bianco, which I picked up from shb in Florida, via EBay. It sounds as if it might be a similar type wine. Time will tell.

I likewise had given up making Wine Kits and spent some time trying a bunch of Fruits. I have decided to concentrate on Three or Four Kits per year and then some local hybrid grapes I can get at a decent price. I have just never been over joyed with juice buckets and for me in Missouri Vinifera grapes are outrageously priced, so not getting those.

The last good wine kit I used turned out bad. It was a highly rated kit but I let it sit too long (I suppose) before using (life got in the way). I am considering getting a good kit that I feel will turn out good. What kits are hot right now. I am open to a white or red. I prefer white but I am under the impression that whites often miss the mark.

What is out there now that you think produces a better wine. Thanks.

I actually think whites are more likely to hit the mark, and much more quickly. Reds take a bit more nurturing over time to get a similar result.

In terms of recommendations, it all comes down to what whites you like to drink. Dry or off-dry is probably the key question.

Personally we love a dry but fruity wine, so Sauvignon Blancs tend to hit the mark, with my personal favourite the Winexpert private reserve New Zealand Marlborough, just using the KV-1V-1116 yeast (not the EC-1118).

I just started a year ago so I don't have many that I'd consider ready to drink yet. The bold reds still taste strange to me so we wait. The exception is an RJS En Primeur Winery Series Trio White Wine Kit. My wife and I lean toward the reds partly because we like fuller bodied wines and many whites we've had seem lighter and thin. The Trio White is the opposite--medium to full bodied and a nice fruity flavor (to us, anyway). I haven't tried any of the WineExpert kits yet but plan to.

For white kits I’ve mainly used Winexpert as I have an inexpensive seller(label peelers) nearby. The Selection(now called reserve) Pinot Grigio and Australian Chardonnay make pretty good weekday whites. My wife likes them better than some of the store bought ones. I’ve also made a Riesling and just bottled the Gewurtztraminer Riesling and it tasted good as I bottled it. If you like sweet wines the Island Mist Peach Apricot is very popular with my friends and relatives. So much so that I can’t keep it in stock. As others have said I have had more luck with white kits than Reds. The reds need more aging time for sure. Good luck.

While I prefer reds I have made the RJS South African Chenin Blanc more than any other kit. White or red. Because it is my wife's favorite. She likes her reds medium bodied and only in the winter. I add some citrus zest to the must to give it a little more crispness. A tweak I learned on this site from @joeswine. To be clear I make way more red than white but I make sure we always have the SACB in the house.

Latest posts

Back