Need help with pH Acid balance

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBWs

Sixth year into this... and still learning!
Reaction score
I'm starting a Vintner's Harvest Cranberry and everything was going fine until I checked the pH and Acid. I'm using the 3 gal recipe off the label:

1 96oz can cranberry fruit base
3 1/2 cans water
6 lbs sugar
2 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 can 12oz white grape concentrate
3 campden tablets

only adjustments I made was I use 15oz seedless raisins (chopped) in place of grape concentrate and I also added yeast energizer. I also only add 5 lbs of sugar to S.G. of 1.074 (will wait until tomorrow to adjust to around 1.080).

It's all in the primary waiting on yeast tomorrow night.

Now the problem: First test of ph was 3.5 and Acid tested at 3.0
(3ml of .2 Sodium Hydroxide to get to 8.2 on pH meter)

Recipe doesn't call for any acid to be added but does say it should be .55% to .60%.

I added 2 tsp of Acid Blend or 3.3 grams per gal and it did what the book said it would do. The pH is now 3.3 and the Acid is 4.0

Question 1: Do I add more acid and take the pH even lower?

Question 2: Will the cranberries add acid to the liquid they are in over the next 24 hrs? (so wait and recheck in 24 hrs)

Question 3: Is there a way to raise pH?

Thanks
Scott

I would ferment it were it is at. 3.3 is plenty low(my opinion). Cranberry is an acidic berry and adding grape juice mellows it out. Adding more acid sorta counter the added grape
I use sodium bi carbonate to raise PH. do it slow it doesn't take much at all

I didn't ask that right: is there a way to raise the acid without lowering the pH?

Back