Need help w/ Cab Sauv concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjackson

rjackson
Reaction score
I was just gifted with 2 cans (total 96 fl. oz) of Alexander's Grape juice concentrate (68 brix). Recipe on can indicates final product of approx 11% ABV. I would prefer to make a dry wine of approx 13-14%ABV. Nothing in the recipe indicates a beginning SG. Any suggestions as to where to adjust starting SG to achieve my goal ? I'm famaliar with the "distillation" process for sprits, and usually adjust my wash/mash to 9-10%ABV, before distillation. But, I'm uncertain of what the maximum ABV % for grape concentrate should be, to produce good wine of a little higher ABV. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I don't think you hit a nerve, just sometimes the forum is slower than other times!

If you have a hydrometer you can go by the numbers on it, for your wanted starting gravity. (1.12-ish for around 13.5%)... You'll of course want to pick a yeast that will go that high, and you may need to add additional sugar or lower the amount of water that you add in the beginning to bump up. I've used Alexanders cab-sauv to make a port wine style, but had to slowly feed the yeast the additional sugar after the initial fermentation of 13% so it wouldn't shock and go dormant. Good luck!

Ron, I make a cab. sauv. using an italian concentrate of 68 brix. I use 2 gallons of concentrate and 5 gallons of water and consistently get a starting sg of 1096. This gives me an ABV of 13.6%. You can adjust this formula to the amount of concentrate that you have to work with. Good luck.

Thank you, Polarhug & Wiz ! I didn't see much activity on the forum about "concentrates", and was afraid some of the purists might be offended. I do have all of the necessary equip, and have made wine from natural grapes and berries in the past. So, I'm relatively familar with the very rudimentary process. In distillation, I try to keep my wash/mash ABV @ approx. 10%. My concern was whether or not I can kick the SG of this concentrate up to the 1.095 - 1.115 level, then ferment back down below 1.000 , without damage to the end product. Would either of you recommend a yeast that will handle that high SG? Thanks for the assistance, I really appreciate any experience that you can share.

I've been using Red Star Montrachet for a couple of years with good success with this concentrate.

Thanks for all the help. I've got some EC1118 here, so I'll try that on this batch and see what happens. Thanks again to Wiz, pjd and Polarhug.

Make your starting SG 1.09. with Montrachet you will end up with a very robust 13-16 ABV. 1118 will yield a little less Alcohol. I say use both.. Make 2 batches at the same time. You'll really be able to get a feel for which each yeast does differently.
Consider it a science experiment.

Look at the 8th post in this thread for a recipe from Longtrain that I have started. I don't think two cans of concentrated juice will result in enough body.

I think the Blackberry will give it better body. It seems like it will be a really good wine. I am going to label this as "Longtrain" and am looking for a good black and white image of a smoking train.

http://www.winepress.us/forums/inde...ckberry-jam-wine-addition/page__fromsearch__1

Thanks, olustee......I think I might try the blackberry addition, If it will add body without leaving a sweeter taste , that will be fine. But, I'm really not a fan of "sweet" wines, that's why I was shooting for dry.

Thanks, olustee......I think I might try the blackberry addition, If it will add body without leaving a sweeter taste , that will be fine. But, I'm really not a fan of "sweet" wines, that's why I was shooting for dry.

It will ferment dry.

Latest posts

Back