Nebbiolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
Did anyone ever make Nebbiolo (from Regina Juice)? Is it dry or sweet and what would it be compared to.

Here's the wine profile

<TABLE id=_ctl7_TableMain style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; WIDTH: 500px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=center>
<T>
<TR id=_ctl7_Tablerow1>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell1>
<TABLE id=_ctl7_TableContainer style="BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #330000; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #330000; WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #330000; : #fcf7ea; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #330000" borderColor=#330000>
<T>
<TR id=_ctl7_Tablerow2>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell2>
<TABLE id=_ctl7_Table2 style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; WIDTH: 100%; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; : #fcf7ea" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR id=_ctl7_Tablerow3 style="COLOR: black; : #fcf7ea">
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell3 style="WIDTH: 5px; HEIGHT: 21px"></TD>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell4 style="HEIGHT: 21px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>Variety: Nebbiolo

Color: Red

Other names:

Varietal Notes:

Not always well known, especially for the role this grape plays in fine Barolos and Barbarescos, Nebbiolo is can produce big, dark, and tannic wines that have substantial aging potential. The name nebbiolo has two probable origins. </TD>
<TD style="WIDTH: 220px" colSpan=3>
<TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
nebbiolo.jpg
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Courtesy Vitis International Variety Catalogue </TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell5 style="WIDTH: 5px; HEIGHT: 21px"></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell28 style="WIDTH: 5px; HEIGHT: 21px"></TD>
<TD colSpan=5>

<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d8bf7a 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d8bf7a 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d8bf7a 1px solid; WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d8bf7a 1px solid; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; : #fcf7ea" borderColor=#d8bf7a cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 rules=all border=1>
<T>
<TR id=_ctl7_Tablerow6>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell18 style="HEIGHT: 21px" colSpan=5>Characteristics*: </TD>
<TD style="WIDTH: 80%">Can yield wines that vary widely in body, tannin and acidity, as well as aroma and flavor complexity.</TD></TR>
<TR id=_ctl7_Tablerow7>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell17 style="HEIGHT: 21px" colSpan=5>Aromas/Flavors*: </TD>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell19 style="WIDTH: 80%" NAME="Tablecell19">cherries, violets, anise, black licorice or truffles, rich, chewy, deep and long-lasting flavors</TD></TR>
<TR id=_ctl7_Tablerow10>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell20 style="HEIGHT: 21px" colSpan=5>Food Pairing: </TD>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell21 style="WIDTH: 80%">rich meats and stews, as well as dry, aged cheeses</TD></TR>
<TR id=_ctl7_Tablerow11>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell30 style="HEIGHT: 21px" colSpan=5>Aging**: </TD>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell31 style="WIDTH: 80%">generally long-lived and often require significant aging to develop and soften</TD></TR>
<TR id=_ctl7_Tablerow9>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell22 style="HEIGHT: 21px" colSpan=5>Commercial
Examples***:
</TD>
<TD id=_ctl7_Tablecell24 style="WIDTH: 80%">
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=6>* Character, Aromas, and Flavors of wine produced from the above-mentioned grapes are based upon a general assessment of the variety. Winemaker results will vary.
** The ability to age is tied directly to the wine's chemical make-up. Aging in the context of a varietal assumes the wines produced can or tend to yield the correct chemical make-up. Winemaker results will vary.
*** Commercial Examples provided as varietal references for benchmarking. Winemaker results will vary. </TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

I think they are very similar. Both from the piedmonte region of Italy. I think they make great wines...I really like Barbera and Barolo's!!!

I like how unique they taste... Different then anything else. In my opinion.

It would probably be similar as finished wines, although I have never compared them directly. I have never seen Nebbiolo identified as the single varietal in a bottle of wine, although the Italian regulations require that Barolos be 100% Nebbiolo grapes from a certain part of the Piedmont region. Probably because Nebbiolo has not been grown in large volumes outside Italy, we Americans know less about it and its culture .

Barbera, as you probably know, is another grape variety, widely grown in somewhat similar fashion in Italy, although not as strictly regulated as some other Italian grapes/wines.

Barbaresco is another Italian wine made from Nebbiolo grapes.

Bottom line, high-quality grapes of either variety would make a great wine and experimentation is half the fun, right?

Bart

BartReeder said:
It would probably be similar as finished wines, although I have never compared them directly. I have never seen Nebbiolo identified as the single varietal in a bottle of wine, although the Italian regulations require that Barolos be 100% Nebbiolo grapes from a certain part of the Piedmont region. Probably because Nebbiolo has not been grown in large volumes outside Italy, we Americans know less about it and its culture .

Barbera, as you probably know, is another grape variety, widely grown in somewhat similar fashion in Italy, although not as strictly regulated as some other Italian grapes/wines.

Barbaresco is another Italian wine made from Nebbiolo grapes.

Bottom line, high-quality grapes of either variety would make a great wine and experimentation is half the fun, right?

Bart
RIGHT!
Time to start thing "out of the box"

Latest posts

Back