''natural'' wine, as a test?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never made fig wine.

Here are the wines I've made starting with my favorite (and best) and ending with the ones I won't do again.
Peach
Blueberry
Black Currant
Blackberry
Black Raspberry
Loquat
Apple
Hard Apple Cider
---------- Wine's I won't do again, Either failure or not of great interest to me.
Blush Zinfandel (From Commercial Canned Concentrate)
Zinfandel (From Commercial Canned Concentrate)
Apricot (Taste was blah - From Commercial Canned Concentrate)
Strawberry (failed 2 out of 3 small batches)

The lack of commentary on this forum and in fact the web, regarding Fig Wine suggests to me that it's path fraught with some degree of frustration less than exciting results.

Same seems to be the case with watermelon wine. Despite songs about it and the relative ease of crushing and extracting juice, the comments seem to suggest it spoils quickly and lacks much flavor. At least that's what I gleaned from several threads on it.

For starting out I would suggest a little more tried and true recipes, at least until you have enjoyed some successful
'simple' wine recipes. Fig wine might be something for year or two down the road. Can you freeze figs? Most fruits seem to break down easier after freezing. Your Grapes are great starting place then perhaps some other fruit available locally. Sorry if this sounds like a lot of repetition but again Fruit stands lose a lot of fruit when it gets bruised or over-ripe yet unless that fruit has actual mold (Which can still be cut off) over-ripe fruit is highest in sugar content and normally can be purchased a lot cheaper. My best example is Peaches, local orchard stands always have some peaches that aren't 'show worthy' but certainly make great wine, preserves, and jelly.

Last edited:
scooter, the high plains are cattle country .
no such thing as fruit stands. no large fruit growers either.
i only grow figs because it's not possible to grow them here.
i sure wish i had known before that grapes will grow here, with little work.
waiting 4 years for a crop is a bit off putting.
your advice re fig wine makes sense.
those i can can or dry, so wine isn't necessary.
i've decided to make semi-natural wine.
i did want to see what wild yeast did, but the arguments advanced on this thread have been persuasive.
i ordered wine yeast.
i won't use sulfur tho.
no pee either.

Back