Napa Valley vacation spot.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolaide187

Reaction score
So me and the wife were talking about possibly taking a trip to Napa Valley next year for a few days and were wondering if anybody has ever done it or if anybody had any recommendations for us. We are wanting to get the whole experience without the tourist type feel. We are from Arkansas and never been to California so we aren't sure how to do it right the first time which is why i'm asking anybody who has done it or lives near there for some advice. Thanks in advance.

I am not a big fan of Napa, as it has seemed to commercialized to me the few times I have been there. North of San Francisco, I prefer Sonoma County or even Mendicino County, both the wines and the ambiance. There are plenty of very good wines available in both.

You might also consider the Livermore area (south of San Fran) or the Lodi area. Both are wonderful.

I have no idea if this offbeat idea will appeal to you at all. My wife and I rather enjoy hot springs. On one trip to Napa, we stayed at one of the hot springs hotels in Calistoga. It was fine, but nothing to write home about. On a different trip, we stayed at Harbin Hot Springs, which is a 30-minute drive north of Calistoga, up into the hills. It is a rather bucolic and new-agey, and, be forewarned, clothing optional. It was simply delightful and peaceful -- a really relaxing setting. Aaaahhhhh......

I have been there many times. I even spent a week out there on business, teaching a class at Beringer (unrelated to wine).

Here is what I suggest...

1) Rent a car. You will need it! A convertible is well worth the extra money!

2) You are going to fly (most likely) into San Francisco. I would arrange to spend 1 or 2 nights there. Napa is only 1 hour north, but San Fran has lots to see, do, and eat (the warf, Alcatraz, the square, trollys, etc). I find that 1 or 2 days is enough to see most of it.

3) Book yourself into the John Muir Inn in Napa. This is a reasonably priced B&B (more like a small hotel) and most rooms have a kitchen. Great for when you want to pack a picnic lunch or just plain tired of restaurants.

4) When winery hopping, I would first head down Silverado trail, all the way into Calistoga. This is where the honest wineries are not touristy / over the top. These are the type of wineries that you might find the owner filling up barrels in the back. Calistoga is also a nice little town, great to bum around in. This may take an entire day.

5) I would spend a day hopping wineries on rte 29. bigger name wineries are here and are pretty neat.

6) When/if you need a break from the wineries, I would head over to the old faithful geyser. They have picnic tables, so break out a bottle and also a picnic lunch and watch the geyser erupt.

7) Head over to Sonoma. Wineries are larger and more spread out here.

8) Have dinner on the wine train (if you are into that sort of thing). A bit touristy and a little expensive, but still nice.

9) HIKE THE JOHN MUIR WOODS!!!! you can not miss this! The trail is only 3 miles and the giant redwoods are amazing. I hiked it twice in one day and I am a lazy sob!

10) make the long trip out to Korbel in the Russian river valley. Korbel is rather nice, good tour, great gardens. After that, continue west out to the pacific coast highway to a spot called Jenner. REALLY NEAT sea scapes!

I have about a thousand other suggestions, but the above are the ones on my "Can not miss" list.

Hope you have fun!

If you don't want the tourist trap (or type) feel stay out of Napa! This is not the wine experience for you. Napa is overrun with tourist (or at least it was before the earthquake). The wineries are crowded, especially on the weekends. They are expensive for tastings often having to pay as much as $20 and spend $100 to get the tasting fees waved. You should stay and roam around the outlying areas as has been mentioned. You will pay full retail at the winery for a bottle. If you like something you may find it (much) cheaper at the local Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Costco etc. who have very nice selections in their wine areas for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
I agree with glowin... The best deal on wine in Napa is at Albertson's (local grocery store). Tastings are no longer free (and have not been for quite some time).

Silverado trail, though, will be less crowded as there are lesser known wineries there.

All these suggestions are awesome! I really appreciate all your time to respond and let me know what to do. It means a lot to me. I will definitely try to do all the above suggestions.

Latest posts

Back