Northern Californian checking in

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarrelMonkey

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I signed up here a few months ago but haven’t yet introduced myself, so here goes. My first experience of winemaking goes back to my childhood. My Mom (or Mum as I should say, since I grew up in Britain) used to make a wide variety of fruit and vegetable wines. I remember elderflower, elderberry, blackberry, plum, carrot, parsnip… I’m sure there were more. And elderflower ‘champagne’, which was my favorite fizzy drink of all time! My Dad used to make beer and I guess I was more of a beer drinker back then, though that changed when I moved to California 30 years ago. Visits to wine country were a favorite weekend day trip, and I gradually turned into a wine lover.

A few years ago my wife and I bought a place in wine country, and we are now semi-retired and live here full time. One of my neighbors used to be a winegrower and makes her own homemade wine, and we joined her and some friends for the 2017 vintage. We bought a ton of pinot noir grapes from a local vineyard and turned it into what I think was (and still is!) a decent wine.

The following year I visited one of my favorite small wineries in the area and asked if they needed any help around harvest time. The answer was yes, and I’m still there after 3 harvests. It’s hard work, but I have learned a lot about everything from crush to bottling – and my wife doesn’t mind if I bring my work home with me :)

This year I’m going it alone. I just bought a press (delivery in July!) though still looking for grapes. The ongoing drought suggests it will be a light harvest this year, but I’m hoping someone will have a half ton left over that I can buy. I’m looking forward to it, and to seeking further advice/sharing my experiences here at the WMT forum.

Welcome to WMT! Sounds like your living the dream retirement life on this forum at least! Looking forward to hearing your hunt for grapes this Fall. There are a few others on the forum who hail from your neck of the woods.

One good source for grapes is the local “the beverage people” website. If you go on their website, they have a section where they facilitate a little marketplace with local grapes for sale when we get closer to harvest. Either “picked” or “you pick”. Growers usually start posting what they have in early to mid September.

I signed up here a few months ago but haven’t yet introduced myself, so here goes. My first experience of winemaking goes back to my childhood. My Mom (or Mum as I should say, since I grew up in Britain) used to make a wide variety of fruit and vegetable wines. I remember elderflower, elderberry, blackberry, plum, carrot, parsnip… I’m sure there were more. And elderflower ‘champagne’, which was my favorite fizzy drink of all time! My Dad used to make beer and I guess I was more of a beer drinker back then, though that changed when I moved to California 30 years ago. Visits to wine country were a favorite weekend day trip, and I gradually turned into a wine lover.

A few years ago my wife and I bought a place in wine country, and we are now semi-retired and live here full time. One of my neighbors used to be a winegrower and makes her own homemade wine, and we joined her and some friends for the 2017 vintage. We bought a ton of pinot noir grapes from a local vineyard and turned it into what I think was (and still is!) a decent wine.

The following year I visited one of my favorite small wineries in the area and asked if they needed any help around harvest time. The answer was yes, and I’m still there after 3 harvests. It’s hard work, but I have learned a lot about everything from crush to bottling – and my wife doesn’t mind if I bring my work home with me :)

This year I’m going it alone. I just bought a press (delivery in July!) though still looking for grapes. The ongoing drought suggests it will be a light harvest this year, but I’m hoping someone will have a half ton left over that I can buy. I’m looking forward to it, and to seeking further advice/sharing my experiences here at the WMT forum.
Welcome! Starting with good fruit is a must. I’m up in Loomis CA and manage the harvest for our community at around 55 tons. It sounds like you are closer to the coast, Sonoma? I can definitely hook you up with 20 year old, head trained Cab Franc. We are $.75 per pound picked. Send me a PM if you or anyone else on the forum want more information.

One good source for grapes is the local “the beverage people” website. If you go on their website, they have a section where they facilitate a little marketplace with local grapes for sale when we get closer to harvest. Either “picked” or “you pick”. Growers usually start posting what they have in early to mid September.

Thanks - yes, I'm familiar with TBP (in fact I'm buying my press from them). I'm hoping to source super locally (Mendocino), ideally piggy-backing onto an order from one of the local winemakers. But not sure how that will work since I think everyone is expecting a light harvest this year due to the drought...

Welcome! Starting with good fruit is a must. I’m up in Loomis CA and manage the harvest for our community at around 55 tons. It sounds like you are closer to the coast, Sonoma? I can definitely hook you up with 20 year old, head trained Cab Franc. We are $.75 per pound picked. Send me a PM if you or anyone else on the forum want more information.

Thanks Norcal. I'm in Mendocino - hoping to get some local pinot noir (since that's what I know best) but definitely open to other varietals too! And your price is certainly right - that's about half (if not less) than what I would expect to pay for decent PN in my area...

Thanks Norcal. I'm in Mendocino - hoping to get some local pinot noir (since that's what I know best) but definitely open to other varietals too! And your price is certainly right - that's about half (if not less) than what I would expect to pay for decent PN in my area...
Ok, if you strike out on PN, let me know. We have plenty. PN is on my shortlist of future grape varieties, so I may be hitting you up on a source.

Welcome Barrel Monkey-

I’m down near Paso Robles with a very similar history to you - three years of helping others, made a little bit of Zin and Grenache last year.

This year I planted my own vineyard - just under 600 vines. You can see more about that in the grape growing board.

I’m also planning to make Tempranillo and Zin this year assuming my source for grapes comes through.

Welcome Barrel Monkey-
I’m down near Paso Robles with a very similar history to you - three years of helping others, made a little bit of Zin and Grenache last year.
This year I planted my own vineyard - just under 600 vines. You can see more about that in the grape growing board.
I’m also planning to make Tempranillo and Zin this year assuming my source for grapes comes through.

Thanks for the welcome - and a belated welcome to yourself! Congratulations on the vineyard - they are a lot of work but I'm sure it will be rewarding. Your pictures in the grape growing thread look great.

I'm hoping to make a white wine this year, but as with you it depends if my source of grapes comes through...

Back