My wine is clearing!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
I made some white wine with the welch's grape concentrate. I started at 1095...and after 5 days it was at 996. I racked it into a one gallon jug, and went ahead and topped it off with white wine since the fermentation was minimal. It appears to be clearing very well.

This isnt a problem, just kind of fun since this is my first batch.

I won't lie....I made a hair too much, and I tasted it. It was unfinished, and cloudy, and it about knocked me on my *** from the overwhelming taste of alcohol.....it must be at 13%...which must be more than normal, because it was quite strong. I wouldn't drink it, but it wasn't repulsive. I have high hopes for it after aging.

Well, I do not think that age will impact the alcohol level. 13% (although high) is not as strong as a wine can get. Part of the "strong" taste could have also been the malic acid in the wine (that will soften with age). Have you tested the acid level of your wine?

also the alcohol bite will ease with time also or normally does with all of mine

Im not worried about the alcohol content....

I have no tests acid levels....not really into the hobby enough for that yet.

It will be fine, but the strongness of it may have been something else as mentioned above....either way, it was something that wouldnt kill me, and thats cool.

13% is that high for a dry white. My chardonel is about 13 - 13.5%.

Like John said above - it could be the malic acid. Did you add any tannins? Somtimes tannins can cause an off/bitter/astringent taste.

I started a red 1 day before my white. Both are clearing very well, but the red is still fermenting visibly and was much more carbonated during racking than the white. Both were started at 1095. Why is that?

I started a red 1 day before my white. Both are clearing very well, but the red is still fermenting visibly and was much more carbonated during racking than the white. Both were started at 1095. Why is that?

Are you sure it is fermenting still? Have you confirmed it with a hydrometer? You might be seeing either CO2 or MLF occuring.

Latest posts

Back