My new batch!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:u well checked it out last night 1.040 that's a whole .003 in 4/5 days :( this is a super long ferment, action in the airlock is super slow once ever 20-30 seconds maybe 29days and counting i dunno if 1.020 is going to be possible. tasted it, tastes really good apple flavor is pretty well gone or masked by the alcohol, but its drinkable now. still gonna give it a few days and see what it does.

if it stalls out im going to rack off the lee's and stabilize it.

well I checked my partial gallon i had left over, looks like i ended up with more than 2 gallons like i was initially going for. It was still at 1.040 so i racked it off the less, added k-meta and sorbate. let it sit over night then added in 1 can of apple juice concentrate, 1/4 cup brown sugar and cinnamon, and sparkolloid. will take pics and start drinkin.....errr uhh tasting once it clears :D

well update here, it all cleared nicely, the apple flavoring was weak so i added in more brown sugar and another can of juice concentrate, young alcohol is still pretty strong so im not adding anymore to the initial jug. however I am ready to rack off my other two gallons because they have completely stopped fermenting, so i plan to add k-meta and back sweeten once I check the SG. the yeast is supposed to be good up to 18% here so im guessing thats about where its sitting right now. if so I plan to back sweeten with 6 cans of apple juice brown sugar cinnamon and nutmeg. Pics to follow, had anyone told me 6 months ago that I would have had 2 gallons of apple wine going, 4 gallons of banana wine going, and 4 gallons of pear wine going I would have laughed at you because I had no clue even how to make this stuff....look at me now i have all of that going and I still have no clue what im doing :)

as someone said to one of my first post's, im gonna need a bigger closet :)

before and after back sweetening, and my new carboy!!!!! :try

SAM_1092_zps9360691f.jpg

SAM_1095_zps75bf39d6.jpg

So far so good! I bottled on the 22nd. Had a hard time corking them though. A few didn't get pushed all the way in and are sticking out of bottle top a bit. I even had a helper lol. Ended up with 31 bottles total. (Now at 28 since I have drank 3 already haha). Haven't tried any since that weekend, trying my best to leave it alone. :) As soon as I get another printer cartridge, I will do the labels.

218965_10151404910017166_1629288370_o (2).jpg

476270_10151404967697166_1430982002_o (2).jpg

PIE.jpg

NICE!!! that is awesome, just from looking I would say its differences with the necks of the bottles, I see some that were driven way deep and the few that are up, i dont think you could do anything to help that, possibly a different cork but i dont know that that would even fix the problem there. other than that everything looks great, I wish you luck on leaving it alone thats the hardest part of this addictio.....errr hobby yeah hobby :)

Lol, well thanks. I figure wasn't too bad for first try. The ones that are messed up I plan on drinking here at house hehe. I put the corks in dry also, dunno if that makes any difference, but that's what I got from all the info on here. Just straight outta the sealed bag. Maybe next time it will be easier. Addiction... Yes... Hahaha. Or obsession? Either way, I'm hooked lol

hey great job on the leaving it alone! :try

hahah just playin im gonna bottle mine tonight woot woot!

Currently drinking a bottle..... It's good :)

Glad you like it! I let mine sit a while after sweetening and more sediment fell out (probably just all the cinnamon). So I racked it off, tasted and found it had lost most of the cinnamon flavor so I threw in a cinnamon stick and let it sit for another 2 weeks. Just bottled last weekend and its perfect. Just in time for the holidays.

its all in bottles now will get pics up later, and snowgirl just so you know i over sweetend mine as well, but i must say its really really good.

thats right i had another hill jack friend try it, being green he said he really liked it, so thats a wine....errr uh win! :)

all bottled up - 2 corks didnt fully seat like yours snowgirl

SAM_1097_zpscaa137d1.jpg

SAM_1096_zps81871d9f.jpg

screw tops are for quick access for ummm tesing purposes :)

Yeah, I'm gonna have to work on the whole corking thing lol. Looks good! I tested another one on sat night, really gonna try hard to leave the rest alone. Hehe

yeah i gave away the frosted bottle, and ive about over tested the other bottle in front, just leaving me with the 1.5l bottle in the back lol

My first time bottleing I had the same problem. Its not the corks fault its the corker. The two lever corkers are good. But spend the extra money for a portugese or Italian floor corker. Well worth the cost.

Last edited:
Back