My Merlot Label

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B M W

Reaction score
I took my labels to Staples and had them printed and cut out for $4.44. They did a great job
smiley1.gif
Here is my Merlot label.

2006-04-15_231450_!merlot.jpg

Wow! What a great price! Did that include the price of the labels? When you say you took it to Staples, did you just create the label and take it on a disc? Do tell!

I love the color job. It looks like Merlot!
smiley32.gif

I did create the label and I put it on my flash drive and took it to Staples, I'm sure you could put it on disk and do the same. They won't printonlabel paper so it is on regular paper and I will just glue them on the bottles. I was able to get six labels per page, and the printing cost was.39 cents per page, but I really loved that they cut them out for me, it was worth the little extra money
smiley4.gif

What type of file was it that you took to them? I didn't see you mention what file type you used. Some of the programs people use to create their labels save in a proprietary format that the shop may not be able to handle. Make sure that you can save as a .jpg, .doc, .rtf, or best a .pdf to take to one of the printing shops in the area, just in case they can't handle a specific format. Alternately, you may want to call the shop that you plan on using to see what formats would be best to use for your particular project.

Polish Wine Princess

I like your reasoning, I bet I could convince my husband that we need a color laser printer for wine making
smiley36.gif

Brandst,

I create my labels in Microsoft Word, so it was a Word Document, nothing fancy and they didn't have any trouble opening it. That is good advice on calling ahead, I just took my chances.

Looks SUPER BMW! Beautiful label!
smiley32.gif

Now, you mentioned Staples wouldn't print on the "label paper." Did they mention why? And, do you think it was just who you happened to deal with (the clerk), or a store policy....I'm just curious -- my plan was to get the blank label paper (from George) and get them to print on it -- but I may have to re-think that....

Dave

OilnH20

The lady at Staples said the label paper messes up the printer. I didn't question her as I know some printers have specifications on what type of paper to use. If you check with Staples in Missoula, let me know if they will print on label paper, it would be a lot easier to peal and stick.

You know, I was thinking of George's paper -- the kind he includes "for free" with the kits... It is the kind with adhesive (you can't really tell it is even on there) on the back and you just wet it and put it on the bottle -- slick as a whistle.

smiley36.gif

The label paper with peel-off does get caught in the rollers of the printer as the paper moves through and "peels" off and causes jams...so I can see the concern.

I looked at the label paper here on George's web site and it didn't say if it could be used in a laser printer or not. I'm not sure if the fuser on the Laser printer would affect the glue (or the glue affect the fuser).Several years ago we had to replace the fuser on a printer because someone ran an inkjet overhead paper through it and it melted in the fuser. I've never had anyone at work complain that the label paper had caused problems, and I know some of the offices print on Avery Label paper, but I don't think anyone prints on paper like George sends. Usually, when I get a call to fix a printer it is because someone had a paper jam and used whatever make-shift tool they could find to pry it out and damaged the rollers.

The paper I sell is fine for either Laser or Ink Jet printers. I have used them in both without any problems. It is one of the reasons I like the paper, so well.

I had Fedex-Kinko's print a few labels for me....kind of expensive but turned out very nice on label paper. Under a dollar each. I think Staples was running a special and able to do it so cheap because they aren't using label paper. I will probably have mine printed for the bottles that I'm giving away then store the rest without labels. I emailed them one day and they were ready to pick up the next. Such a difference in color and brightness from doing them on my printer.

Ramona

That's what I do. A few bottles get labelled and capped for presentation and
give aways. The drinking wine get corked labeleld with a cheap label and
laid down and that's it. THe muddy bottom get corked an nothing else.

This morning just before I went out the door to work, I emailed a label to Kinko's to be printed. As soon as I got in the office I got a call that there are ready to pick up. They are also going to cut them for me. A little bit pricey but they are so nice and the time I would spend cutting them out especially when I can't cut straight on a line......it is worth it!!!

Ramona

Ramona, two questions -- can you post a pic of your label on the forum? And, by "pricey" -- what do you mean? I was wondering in comparison to BMW's experience, above...

smiley1.gif

OilnH20,

There is picture of the label under Wine Photos..White Zin for Dallas. I picked up a dozen today at Kinko's all nice and cut out for me....$11.00. I really haven't shopped around since Kinko's is on my way home. I did look into the 39 cent ones that Staples had and probably should have tried it but didn't. Maybe I'll try Staples next time although I think the 39 cent ones were a special. I guess shopping around would be a good idea!!! Give it a try....Ramona

Not any problems with the label paper clogging the printer at Kinko's.Edited by: rgecaprock

GO WITH GEORGE'S LABELS!!! Ok that probable was a bit strong, sorry for the stern capitalization
smiley2.gif
. I just had to clean some bottles that hadGeorge's labels on them and I just ran the label under some hot water and they came right off. That is fantastic! It saved me hours of scrubbing.

Thanks George.

earl

Latest posts

Back