My hard cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithTheSnake

Junior
Reaction score
I have just bottled my first gallon experiment of still hard cider tonight. It all started as two gallons of apple cider and some premier cuve'e. I snagged the last two jugs of pasturized apple cider from our local Quality Dairy store at the end of the fall, and I'm glad I did.

So, after a couple of rackings and stabilizing last Thursday, I went to backsweeten it today. I discovered that more sediment had fallen since Thursday, even though it looked clear as glass before I stabilized it. So, I racked it again today before I backsweetened.

I bottled it in 12-ounce tall boy beer bottles. I had a bit left over that wouldn't fill the last bottle. It tastes just as I imagined it would.

I figure that I'll use it for snake bites, by pouring it with some stout. Just thought I'd let you know. Comments and advice are welcome.

Apple cider/wine will drop sediment for up to a year which is why I always age mine in bulk for that long before bottling. The sediment won't hurt anything, just appearance same as in unfermented cider. You didn't say, but I hope it was fully degassed and sorbate added or you'll have apple "champagne".

Fred

Yeah, it was completely degassed at least a racking before I stabilized it with sorbate and camden. That's why I was so surprised that more sediment fell after I had stabilized it. I could understand how CO2 might hold the sediment in suspension, but I'm telling you that this stuff was a clear amber. You could read the fine print in your credit card application through it, it was so clear.

Anyhow, it only yielded 11 bottles, so it'll be gone in no time.

My hard cider just didn't turn out as I'd expected. First, it's still -- as per my evil plan. Second, well, it kinda tastes like a sweet white wine. Not really disappointed, but, meh.

Next time, it'll be carbonate like beer.

Latest posts

Back