My First Ancient Orange

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldnt squeeze them very hard or you will get that very harsh stuff like when you squeeze an orange peel. I racked use the anti-sediment tip on the racking cane and that held back most of it. I would get the rest of the fruit in there in a strainer and gently squeeze out some juice.

Monty,
I looked at mine also today and it is very clear, some fruit floating and a pile of sediment on the bottom. The last time I made it and had the challenge of the sediment I rubberbanded a piece of panty hose to the racking cane. It worked pretty well. I have 6 gallons ready to bottle. I may transfer what is left after I get all the clear mead out to a smaller bottle andlet it settle out then rack again when it is clear. My mead was so pretty and so good. You will love yours too !!!

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

I just racked my JAO yesterday. After sitting in my wine room since first part of May. It is crystal clear! Picked up some lees at racking and will let settle out before bottling. I tried a bit and it is KICK ASS! used Red Star yeast and left it totally alone. Don't know the alcohol content but it is way up there. I will definitely make this again. Any suggestions on what type of bottle to put it in. I was thinking about a mason jar to give it that true Kentucky home made appeal but my wife thinks I should use some type on "normal" bottle.

You can use any type bottle you like but for something like these I like the Bellissima bottles but they are a little pricey.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5215 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C5215_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Dark Antique Green Ice Wine 375 ml Bellissima, case of 12

Order #8 straight corks or #7 tapered corks to use with these bottles</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$24.99</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$24.99 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">Stocked </td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List

Shipping Cost Estimate</td></tr></t></table>

Monty, in your pictures it looks like that is more than one orange sliced up.
And you didn't put these in beer bottles, but the small wine bottles?

Wade, ok, I have some of the frosted 375 ml bottles. Sounds good, thanks.

I only used 1 orange. I just sliced it very thin so that it would fit into the glass jug. I also used 375ml bottles that I bought. Mine are clear but frosted would work.

One thing I really like about this meade (aside from the taste) is how it looks in the glass. It is amazing just to look at once you pour it!

Have fun and make sure to ask lots of questions if you have any.

Monty

Wade, I am not sure if the labels will stick or not. I guess I should try a label and see.
smiley36.gif

Ok, I made the mead this morning, it looks good right now with the oranges floating in it~~
Went to put a stopper on it and I didn't have one!!
smiley7.gif

Added the pinch of Allspice and nutmeg to this also.

So this gives me an excuse to order another kit and get the stopper!
In the meantime George said a balloon will do until the stopper gets here.

A good rule of thumb thatI always live by is to purchas a stopper and airlock each time I buy a carboy. Don't forget to purchase stoppers small enough for a 750ml bottle just in case you need to use one for excess. Best to have several sizes on hand, that way you are ready for anything.

Glad to hear you started your mead. You're going to love it. Post some pictures of your progress if you can.
Monty

Monty, good rule of thumb. So, while I wait for my stopper and a new kit
smiley36.gif
my mead is getting happy with a balloon attachment.

This picture without the balloon.

20081227_052303_AncientOrangeSp.JPG

Monty, here is the picture of the balloon on the mead. A definite conversation piece with friends and neighbors. haha
smiley36.gif

20090112_045640_duckmead.JPG

That's great! It looks like some green bird perching atop you carboy. I've never tried that, but I'm it works pretty good.

Here are some pics of the JAO I started on 11-15-08. The 1 gallon in the middle is the JAO, the 1 gallon on the left is a modified JAO (started 1-1-09) using sweet kumquats (thanks smurfe). The first batch had issues clearing initially (maker wouldn't leave it alone) but after the 2 month mark was doing ok so I racked it off the lees and used k-meta on it.
CIMG0097.jpg

The second pic is pretty much the same, but the 1/2 gallon bottle is cranberry started back on Dec 8, 2008

CIMG0092.jpg

Looks great! I'm going to have to make more since I only made a gallon batch and its about gone. Just saving my money for the honey now.

gaudet, I want to rack off the lees today. How much K-meta did you use for a 1 gal batch? Can I use a camden tab?

I used 1 tablet of campden..........

and topped off to the bottom of the neck with bottled water.

My concern now is should I add potassium sorbate to inhibit any further fermentation. I took a reading and the sg was 1.03 after 2 1/2 months. So there are some more fermentables left in there.

gaudet, did you ever add the potassium sorbate in your mead?
My mead is clear. But not sure what the next step is.
I have racked in to a clean jug.

I haven't bottled yet, so I didn't add any k-sorb. But there is no mention in the recipe of using it. I guess the potential for refermentation is there, but very slight. Ken said his starting gravity was 1.165, imagine if that were to ferment dry (0.996). The ABV would be 22.96%. Is there any yeast that can survive in this environment?

Latest posts

Back