My fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewisericeric

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am making my first batch and my glass demijohn is just on the work top in the kitchen. Will the daylight affect the wine at all (it's a red I'm making?)

Should the demijohn be in a dark place?

Many thanks
LEWIS

I would advise that you move it to a dark place. The light is never good for wine and may serve to raise the temp of your fermentation.

I would advise that you move it to a dark place. The light is never good for wine and may serve to raise the temp of your fermentation.

As long as it is not in direct sunlight shouldn't it be alright though? There is sunlight in the room where i make my wine - i just keep it out of the direct sunlight.

There's no direct sunlight and the temperature has been between 20-22degrees since I started on Saturday so no fluctuations. It should be fine shouldn't it?

I like to cover all "just in case" something hits it. Whites should be covered

I'd agree that as long as there is no direct sunlight, you should be fine for the short term. For long term staorrage, you should have it in the dark. There is a reason that most wines that are intended to to aged are in dark bottles.

Latest posts

Back