Mulling Spices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flbama

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to add milling spices to wine while it's bulk aging. My carboy was full and I had 1.5 liters left so I'm aging in a seperate bottle. I thought about adding mulling spices to the 1.5 liters for a few weeks which would give me2 nice bottles ofholiday red that can be serve slightly warm next Christmas. I've had some from a local winery this year and it was very good. Just not sure if I'm missing the obvious whyI shouldn't do this.

I made a mead that I added spices while it fermented and it turned out very well. We just warm it up and serve. The only thing I would caution you on is start small and check often especially since you are starting with a small amount. Another option is just pick up a mulling spice bag which may be easier.

My wife and I have mulled wines several times during the winter. We prefer to use a mulling spice bag.

Mulled Wine
1bottle of whatever wine you like
1/2 - 3/4c brown sugar
1Mulling spice bag

Add ingredients to a crock pot set on low. Simmer untill desired spice is reached. Serve and enjoy.

I have made several fruit wines. We enjoy using our apple wine for this purpose.

BOB

Dang Bob, you used that much brown sugar for just one bottle of wine??

Hi Waldo, Most of the mulling bags we have bought have that same recipe on them. It really doesn't make the wine all that sweet. Maybe it's because it's hot.

BOB

Latest posts

Back