mulberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksvet06

fubar
Reaction score
hello i started a batch of mulberry wine the other day and hope it turns out good lol. here's the recipe.

4 lbs mulberry
2 cans welch's grape juice
3 lbs of sugar
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
2 campden tablets (crushed)
1/5 tsp of sodium metabisulphite
top off with bottled water to the 2 gallon mark with out the crushed
mulberry's in.
lavlin kv-1116 yeast

Starting s.g. was 1.100 which supposedly to about 14.9% abv.

After 24 hours with the yeast in s.g. dropped to 1.072
Hopefully this is all good.

hello i started a batch of mulberry wine the other day and hope it turns out good lol. here's the recipe.

4 lbs mulberry
2 cans welch's grape juice
3 lbs of sugar
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
2 campden tablets (crushed)
1/5 tsp of sodium metabisulphite
top off with bottled water to the 2 gallon mark with out the crushed
mulberry's in.
lavlin kv-1116 yeast

Starting s.g. was 1.100 which supposedly to about 14.9% abv.

After 24 hours with the yeast in s.g. dropped to 1.072
Hopefully this is all good.

I'm curious. What do mulberries taste like? Good luck with your winemaking.

thank you for asking.

Was there a reason for adding so much sulfite? Were your berries in bad shape? WVMJ

I'm not sure why so much sulfite. In the instructions it said to sanitize everything with two crushed campden tablets and to then add 1/4 tsp of the sodium metabisulphite to the must to kill any natural yeast

You got them in Baltimore, they should be ripening right now, google what they look like and drive around until you see a bunch of berries on the road, stop and pick some off of the tree, thats mulberries. They can be very sweet with lots of flavor, or just plain sweet with little berry flavor, really depends on the kind of mulberry and the individual tree itself. WVMJ

I'm curious. What do mulberries taste like? Good luck with your winemaking.

You have added enough sulfites for 7 gal of wine, might want to reread the instructions or get better instructions. They may be meaning to sanitize everything with some sulfite, drain that off, and add some to the fruit to knock down the bugs, one thing, your batch aint going to turn to vinegar anytime soon:) WVMJ

QUOTE=ksvet06;516800]I'm not sure why so much sulfite. In the instructions it said to sanitize everything with two crushed campden tablets and to then add 1/4 tsp of the sodium metabisulphite to the must to kill any natural yeast[/QUOTE]

I would pick some more berries and reserve the juice. I think you are going to need more flavor. Reduce the juice and make an f-pack. My experience with mulberry taught me to use straight juice/no water. I also came to the conclusion that mulberry does not like oak. I used fresh fruit with my first batch and it was just okay. I used steamed juice with the second batch and it came out great!

BOB

I agree with no water!!!

Sme mulberries have little flavor---but when made into wine, it is a nice complex flavor, especially if you age it for 1 year.

uh oh lol I topped off with water lol hopefully it'll be okay not sure. now on the sulphite will it add a strange flavor to the wine?

It could, but if you splash rack it a couple of times that should help. I would not add any more for awhile though

BOB

I agree with Turok , I did not even bottle mine until it was a year old. At 2years it was even better

BOB

I did a mulberry wine with 6lbs of fresh mulberries and 1lb of raisins. Let it sit a year and it came out nice. Mulberry trees are everywhere. Spread out a drop cloth and shake the tree a bit to harvest. Picking them one at a time is impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

lesson learned on this wine so far is if your gonna put mulberries in the must to ferment too then do it in a nylon straining bag in stead of a cheese cloth. The seeds go right threw the cheese cloth. So now on to straining all the seeds off lol.

Last night I racked the wine into carboys with a s.g. at .993. So now the waiting game begins lol. Thinking of starting a batch of skeeter pee!

Good job ksvet06! Now to hurry up and wait. Skeeter Pee or Dragons Blood would be great to help you leave that pretty pretty carboy alone. Remember to taste every time you rack, which should be off lees fairly soon, and any time you add kmeta. It helps to know how the flavor matures over time. Helps give you the self control to wait for your wine to become its best.

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back