Moving to NorCal/All in on Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galaxy_5

Junior
Reaction score
I recently found out that I'll be moving to Northern California at the end of May and am pretty excited about all the things the area has to offer...especially the wine prospects. I've been making kits on and off for the last several years as my workload permits, but with this move I want to start with grapes (the long term plan is to do this for a living, but it's definitely a 10+ year plan), so maybe not all in, but definitely want to start developing my skills. I've read several books on the vineyard part (From Vines to Wines among others), but I'm needing to put some practical with that theoretical. What are some good resources, groups or old oracle type winemakers looking for a prodigy to develop? Headed to the Beale AFB area, so we're looking at places to live anywhere between Sacramento and Chico, any good suggestions on where to look for a house? Where are folks buying their grapes (like any good job in aviation, networking I would guess)? Is there any chance of getting some good mentorship through some of the local wineries?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and if the mods feel like this isn't the appropriate forum, please feel free to move it.

I recently found out that I'll be moving to Northern California at the end of May and am pretty excited about all the things the area has to offer...especially the wine prospects. I've been making kits on and off for the last several years as my workload permits, but with this move I want to start with grapes (the long term plan is to do this for a living, but it's definitely a 10+ year plan), so maybe not all in, but definitely want to start developing my skills. I've read several books on the vineyard part (From Vines to Wines among others), but I'm needing to put some practical with that theoretical. What are some good resources, groups or old oracle type winemakers looking for a prodigy to develop? Headed to the Beale AFB area, so we're looking at places to live anywhere between Sacramento and Chico, any good suggestions on where to look for a house? Where are folks buying their grapes (like any good job in aviation, networking I would guess)? Is there any chance of getting some good mentorship through some of the local wineries?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and if the mods feel like this isn't the appropriate forum, please feel free to move it.

If you are truly serious about it, I would enroll in the eonology program at UC Davis. This is where most interns in northern Ca come from. The issue is that you do not have any type of formal education on winemaking and there are literally thousands of people (much like you) that have the same desire as you.

Like any other field, it is a matter of increasing your chances. I am not saying that it is impossible without a degree, but very unlikely for you to find exactly what you are looking for...

Sorry if I seem like I am shooting down your dream, but I just want to be honest and practical.

johnT.

Yep, live west of Sacramento as far as you can and as near to Davis as possible, so you can attend some classes at UC Davis. What a great opportunity for you.

I'll bet if you start networking around the area, you will find someone who will sell you some grapes or maybe trade labor for grapes.

Shortly I'll be moving to Santa Rosa. Too far from Davis, however they have lots of wine course at the local Jr. College there. And of course I will be right in the middle of That area's wine country.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I could have been more direct when asking my original question. I'm looking for some sort of mentorship and an arrangement like you suggest, Robie, possibly grapes or simply knowledge for labor (Colorado Springs or Santa Rosa? I don't think I could have made a confident decision, what wonderful places to live!).

John, this isn't something I've thought about lightly, so I apologize if I came across flippantly in my original post. At 27 and still owing a significant amount of time to Uncle Sam, I've got not only time to develop myself, but a great starting point to develop my skills on the side as I move from this career to the next, and finally to the point where I can make enough money with wine to live. The west coast is nice, but not where I want to settle, nor where I want to break into the wine industry. I'm a pretty pragmatic guy and can expand via PM if you would like. Maybe you can help me identify something I didn't think of.

Now the downside to this move is that I'll be commuting to Beale, so the closer to Davis I live, the worse my commute. I'll be deploying 6-9 months a year, so formal education is out of the equation for the moment, which is why I'm looking for suggestions on good places to start with the informal education. Of course I really can't predict when I'll be home and when I won't be, but for example, in 2013 I will be home through the summer and harvest. Is there any place in the area or anyone that can help me out in light of those constraints?

I am in Modesto. You can't over look the hidden treasures of El Dorado, Lodi, and my favorite Murpys.

When you land hit me up and we can tour some favorites.

I am in Modesto. You can't over look the hidden treasures of El Dorado, Lodi, and my favorite Murpys.

When you land hit me up and we can tour some favorites.

Would definitely love to take you up on that offer! Funny story about our pending move...when I was in training out there in July and August, my wife came out for a 3-day weekend. I'd told her how great the area was and that there was no way she wouldn't love it, but when she landed at Sac Int'l, she couldn't figure out what I had been talking about and was even a little upset. It was hot, dry, flat (summer haze, so you couldn't see the mountains) and didn't look much different than KS. The next day we went to Lodi, and she thought it was okay. Then the next day Armstrong Redwoods, Healdsburg and Pt. Reyes, and finally Napa and Sonoma on her last day. Delaware was the first place we felt like we could call home, but that 3-day weekend got her excited for the move.

To keep with the theme of the forum, though, has anyone done any of the continuing ed. classes out there, and how worthwhile were they?

Thanks,
Andy

UCD has an extension program that allows you to take a some of the classes through video lectures while working towards a winemaking certificate, might work with your schedule.

If you're looking to live between Sac and Chico in the valley, you're basically looking at Yuba City/ Marysville/ Gridley.There's not a huge amount of winemaking going on north of Sac in the Valley. There are some emerging wine areas in the foothills near there in Grass valley/ Auburn. Actually, I don't think Grass Valley is very far from Beale and is usually considered a pretty great place to live. Regardless of where you live you'll have plenty of access to grapes throughout NorCal for home winemaking purposes. The Clarksburg area in Sacramento is where I do my grape work and has an exciting/ growing boutique wine industry. Sac also has a pretty good home winemaking club with lots of resources available to members.

Thanks for the info Crews! The more I ask around the more it sounds like Grass Valley is the place for us. I hear there's a relaxed atmosphere there and, most importantly not suburbia with relatively easy access to civilization. The range of home prices look pretty broad there, but definitely some more reasonable places than Roseville, Rocklin, and Lincoln...with exceptions of course.

I'll have to start looking into Davis's extension program. It would be nice if I could find something that was mostly online like that with maybe a day or two hands on down at the campus. Either way, it sounds like what I was looking for.

Also, if I had my druthers, I'd love to live in Auburn, but I think the commute would be too much. What an awesome place - a little crunchy/outdoorsy with all those endurance events...the wife and I would be in heaven.

Well first get in touch with the Sacramento Home Winemakers: http://www.sachomewine.com/

As to grape sources, while they were down this year, many of the packing houses will sell small lots. I bought 300 lbs of Syrah from Delta Packing in Lodi for $0.30/lbs.

If you live in Sac you should also check out the L.A.V.A. group in Lodi. We have a lot of amateur wine makers from Sacramento that are members. It's a big group with lots of good resources. If you like Zin then you have to get it from Lodi. Next time you go wine tasting be sure to check out VanRuten and Michael David wineries they have some good and very well known wines. For a hidden treat you should also check out Kidder Family wines, it is a hidden gem in the valley, I think they have the best wines around.

We were in Stockton today so we trekked over to Kidder. Very nice wine and we are now club members. Probably going to join LAVA

I recommend the Sacramento Wine Club too. Although not a member, as I live in San Diego, they have some great resources that anyone can use. Also, UC Davis Extension has a great certificate program that you can take online, so check it out. They also offer a number of weekend and short courses where you would be able to network. Best of luck on this adventure.

Gary

I just figured out where Beale AFB is located. You should fine some vineyards along the foot hills I'll bet. Once you get there, just start asking around; it won't take long to find out where the vineyards are located.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back