Mosti Mondiale Mosti Mondiale Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantLee63

Reaction score
Just wondering how sweet does this one finishes? I've made many meads, but this will be my first wine. I know that some Rieslings finish dry and others finish sweet - hopefully this one will not be bone-dry.

Thanks in advance,

- GL63

We made the MM Alljuice Reisling in Feb. It finished dry, but we back-sweetened half of it at bottling. The dry version is excellentwith food, and the sweet is a nice sipping wine by itself. It's our most requested wine from the family. We're down to our last 4 bottles, and they're all going to be Christmas gifts.
smiley19.gif

Is this a Riserva or a Meglioli kit?

Both of them are listed as 0 sweetness kits, so they will both finish dry. Follow the directions for the kit. When it is done give it a fair taste test. If it is drier than you want, make sure it has been stabilized and the sweeten it almost to your sweetness level you are satisfied with. I say almost because as it ages, it will seem to get sweeter as the wine mellows out some. Good luck with it and welcome to the forum.

Wow! Thanks for the rapid replies .... this kit is an Original AllJuice kit - it is not a Meglioli kit, so I assume it is a Riserva. I wasaware thatthe Meglioli kit finishes dry, but I did not see that information about the kit I have. In any event, thanks for the information - this is a great site!

- GL63

appleman said:
Is this a Riserva or a Meglioli kit?

Both of them are listed as 0 sweetness kits, so they will both finish dry. Follow the directions for the kit. When it is done give it a fair taste test. If it is drier than you want, make sure it has been stabilized and the sweeten it almost to your sweetness level you are satisfied with. I say almost because as it ages, it will seem to get sweeter as the wine mellows out some. Good luck with it and welcome to the forum.
Appleman, can we expect all kits to seem sweeter as they get some age?

Jack on Rainy Appleman said:
Jack it is a very common observation that whites in particular become slightly sweeter as they age. I believe it is perception rather than a physical manifestation. As the wine ages it tends to "mellow out". Acids get a bit less harsh or pronounced so even though the sugar hasn't increased, it is perceived to be sweeter because there is less acidic taste to the wine. Reds are much less affected, but still can exhibit this.

Just go easy and don't over do it. You can always sweeten more if needed and a wine that has been backsweetened will gain a little more sweetness with some age on it.

I backsweetened my Meglioli Riesling with sugar syrup (2 parts regular granulated sugar to 1 part water, and I used about 3/4 cup for 6 gallons), and it came out just right but seems like the syrup thickened the wine up just a bit.Is there a better way to backsweeten that won't do that?

Not to my knowledge at this point, next time you can pull some juice out in te beginning and freeze it then add it back after wine is stabilized.
Edited by: wade

Why would you want to have the wine thinner? Usually everybody wants their wine with a bit more body and mouthfeel. Just tell yourself this is a good thing
smiley20.gif

So if I understand this correctly ...... (and remember I'm a newbie!), most wines - white, red, rose', etc. ferment dry and then need to be back-sweetened?

- GL63

Grant that is the safest way to do it and the way most kits are done. If it is a fruit wine or from grapes, you can try to stop the fermentation, but even if you do you need to try to keep it from starting up again and causing problems. And as Jack Keller insists- it isn't back sweetening it is sweetening, re-sweetening or sweetening back (saying all this tongue in cheek- everybody here calls it back sweetening).

Excellent info appleman and thanks again to you - and the others - for your feedback!

- GL63Edited by: GrantLee63

I received my kit and I fully understand now why it will finish bone-dry - it came with EC-1118. It seems to me that there are better choices for a Riesling (D-47 and 4783Rudisheimer come to mind) than the yeast that Mosti Mondiale included with the kit. Are there any reasons why I would NOT want to tweak this kit and use a different yeast strain?

Again, your help is most appreciated,

- GL63

Subsidizing the yeast strain given will void the warranty. All kits use this yeast or its Red Star equivalent of Premier Cuvee to make sure it ferments completely without problems. With that being said another yeast may do a better job with a white wine such as the D-47 or 71B-1122. Either way though this wine will most likely ferment to dry and you will still have to sweeten after.
Edited by: wade

Thanks again folks for all your help. Afew other questions:
<UL>
<LI>Do most of you prefer a simple sugar solution to back-sweeten your wines, or do you prefer a commercially made 'wine-conditioner' of sorts?</LI>
<LI>Regarding the 'Siligel' and 'Liquigel' that came with my kit - those are the clarifying agents, correct? Assuming that they are, as I intend to 'bulk-age' my wine for a year, I should not put those in until 8-10 days before I bottle according to the instructions.... correct?</LI>[/list]

I made this today, following the directions to the 'T' using the supplied EC-1118.
- GL63

Awesome avatar, did you make that? I think simple syrup tastes better when a higher sweetness is desired, Conditioner is okay in small amounts but as soon as you add a certain amount it takes on a artificial flavor IMO. If bulk aging for a year then you might not even want to use a fining agent which those are, with that amount of time you will drop all sediment naturally as long as you degas well when the wine is stabilized. When its done fermenting, add your k-meta, sorbate and degas well and after a month or about 1/2" - 3/4" rack off all lees and let it sit for another month or 2 and then rack again this time adding another 1/4 tsp of k-meta to protect your wine. At bottling you will want to add another 1/4 tsp if you take it all the way to 1 year.

Wade - Ican't take credit for the avatar as I got it from a member of a local brew-club here in Clarkston, MI. You've answered all my questions in a record amount of time! This is a great site with a lot of great folks willing to share - I appreciate all your help!
- GL63

Back