Mosti Mondiale MM AllJuice Chardasia

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCook

Reaction score
I started the MM AllJuice Chardasia on Monday evening around 10:00 PM - staring s.g. was 1.084, if I remember correctly. The new Mosti instructions say to stir for the first 3-5 days and then rack to the carboy when the s.g. is between 1.040-1.050. So, I figured that four days was about right for an s.g. drop of that size as most kits I've run seem to average -0.010 s.g per day. Not so with this one - I checked it last night just before the official "3-day" mark and it was down to 1.024 - fritz! So into the carboy it went for the rest of its yeasty journey.

While I was impressed with the rate at which it fermented, it brought up a question in regards to AllJuice kits with raisins. The instructions note to add the raisins after 24-48 hours, but hen to remove the raisins before transferring to the secondary. If these kits hit s.g. 1.040-1.050 this quickly, and you added raisins at the 24 hour mark per instructed, then it seems like the raisins would be in the primary for only about 24 hours, which doesn't seem like a very long time at all.

Does anyone have other real time frames to hit 1.040-1.050 on an AllJuice kit, raisins or not?

- Jim

Jim, I made this one a year ago or so, I think you will be very pleased with the results. Do you plan on Battonage with this one? I didn't, and have often wondered what the results would be. Of course that was before the change in instructions, so I dont have an answer to your question.

Jim, fermentation rates vary due to different factors and there really isn't an exact time frame. Areas such as temperature, acidity, yeast health, oxygen concentrations in liquid, and even elevation will affect fermentation rates. Most directions are based on averages in the "test kitchens" at the manufacturers. You do bring up a valid point though about the raisins though. I would see little value from them with only 24 hours of contact if left in a whole form. They would need to be chopped to get some benefit. I personally would of added the raisins and left them for the prescribed time no matter the SG although I do preach that each step of a kit should be guided by the SG and not the "days" directions state. It will not hurt your wine to ferment in the primary though. Certain items like oak contact and the raisins need a certain time frame for contact with the liquid to receive any benefits from their use. The only Mosti kit I did that had raisins added the raisins right at the beginning if I remembered correctly. I am not sure on that one though.

Back