Mlf????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marleycat

Junior
Reaction score
We have been making wine for 10 years, for the most part it has been pretty good. Now and then we get some fiz when we first open a new bottle. I have been reading a lot about MLF. Is that the term for the second fermentation? We have always just let the wine rest in glass, racking every couple of months. It sounds like we should be forcing that second fermentation. Could that be why our wine is sometimes fizzy? We would love to solve that problem. Please explain more about MLF and how and when to do it! Thanks again, hopefully one day we will get that perfect result.

The fizziness could be caused by CO2 that didn't dissipate, or refermentation or MLF in the bottles.

Yes, MLF (Malolactic fermentation) is also known as secondary fermentation. It is generally desired for red wines. With white wines, its pretty much a question of taste. In either case, you want it to complete, or not start at all.

I'll leave the specifics of MLF to someone with more experience.

We have been making wine for 10 years, for the most part it has been pretty good. Now and then we get some fiz when we first open a new bottle. I have been reading a lot about MLF. Is that the term for the second fermentation? We have always just let the wine rest in glass, racking every couple of months. It sounds like we should be forcing that second fermentation. Could that be why our wine is sometimes fizzy? We would love to solve that problem. Please explain more about MLF and how and when to do it! Thanks again, hopefully one day we will get that perfect result.

Are you bottling your wine with any residual sugar?

Kevin

Are you bottling your wine with any residual sugar?

Kevin

I don't think so. After pressing, we allow the wine to stay in carboys with an airlock for close to a year. We don't press until the SG is below .99, so I always thought the sugar was gone by then. We rack every couple months. I don't usually test before bottling, so I am not 100% sure, but I certainly think all the sugar is worked out by then. I have never worried to much about the second fermentation, so I am wondering if that is our problem. I really want this batch to be perfect, the grapes cost a lot. and all that work. Well you know:slp:

It sounds like you're doing a dry red wine, so I wouldn't expect refermentation. A year of bulk aging should allow all the CO2 to dissipate, so MLF sounds like the prime suspect.

AFAIK, MLF is sensitive to high alcohol, acid and SO2, as well as low pH and temp.

I don't think so. After pressing, we allow the wine to stay in carboys with an airlock for close to a year. We don't press until the SG is below .99, so I always thought the sugar was gone by then. We rack every couple months. I don't usually test before bottling, so I am not 100% sure, but I certainly think all the sugar is worked out by then. I have never worried to much about the second fermentation, so I am wondering if that is our problem. I really want this batch to be perfect, the grapes cost a lot. and all that work. Well you know:slp:

I would buy a culture of ML Bacteria and innoculate this wine. You said that you want this wine to be perfect. I think it's better to have control over the process the whole way through. If you put it through MLF, then you don't have to worry about it happening later in the bottle. If you can, do a paper chromatography test. If not keep it in a warm place for atleast a month after innoculation. After completion, add sulfites to the proper level based on PH.
Hope this helps.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back