Mlf

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishboy

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm fermenting 6 gallons each of Chardonnay and viognier. I am going to add malactic bacteria but just not sure when. I'm thinking around 5 degree brix but do I rack the wines off of the lees in the primary fermenter or should I just add the bacteria without any racking? Right now the brix is 7 in the viognier and 10 in the chardonnay.
Thanks

Okay, I'll take a stab at this one........I read on the forum that MLB should be introduced when the S.G is around 1.030 (down from a starting S.G of around 1.090 ish). Not sure about the Brix count... most of us go by S.G. As far as racking.....I would guess you add it after primary fermentation and it's off the "gross" lees. It takes a while for the MLB to do it's thing and I wouldn't want it sitting on the gross lees, it might give it an off taste. I hope someone else will chime in.....

Some co-inoculate (add right after adding the yeast), others wait until after pressing (if a red) or moving off the gross lees. The four times I've done it so far I have added it after fermentation or pressing has been completed (racking it off the gross lees after a day or two). It has worked fine in all cases (one white, three reds). This time around I'm going to try two batches (a Zinfandel and Cab Franc) where I'll put the MLB in just after adding the yeast. I'll let you know how that goes in about a couple of months. Obviously there are some on here that have done a MLF more times than I've done batches (33 so far, I think).

Ok Thanks, I'll add the bacteria at around the 5 degree range then Ill rack off the gross lees in a couple days. I've already added the bacteria to my merlot after fermentation started. It looks very good. Also added opt red just after the crush and the must has a deep red color. The grape grower suggested the MLF for the merlot.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back