MLF, how often do you stir?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havlikn

Reaction score
First attempt at MLF. How often do you stir the bacteria? I know lots of recommendations say once a week, but I wanted to see what the experts do. Thanks

Although this may not be the best / most efficient approach, I normally do not stir the tank at all. I have had great success with MLF so I see no real need for it.

Apollo 13 stirred their tanks, and look what happened!

I have sent several batches through successfully with no stirring at all. I don't like checking either, since the wine is unprotected. I prefer to leave it alone until co2 production is complete, then remove the bung and check.

So this may go against most conventional methods but I add ml bugs at about 10 brix. When etoh fermentation is done I press, let it sit in a tank for a day then rack into barrels. After that I do nothing except top the barrels until bottling day.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

So this may go against most conventional methods but I add ml bugs at about 10 brix. When etoh fermentation is done I press, let it sit in a tank for a day then rack into barrels. After that I do nothing except top the barrels until bottling day.

CC,

Isn't there an issue with VA production and MLF in the presence of sugar?

CC,

Isn't there an issue with VA production and MLF in the presence of sugar?

No. Much research has been done in recent years about cofermentation and the result has been there is very little downside. Once brix is down to 10 you know there is a vigorous and healthy fermentation yeast population and there is no way some newly introduced ml bugs are going to start consuming sugar. The issue you are referring to has been vastly over stated and only occurs when there is a stuck etoh fermentation and ml is present. Most winemakers I know that co ferment add their bugs as soon as the yeast ends lag phase. I have always added my bugs around 10 brix and I love the finished wines so I have not experimented with added them earlier but see no enological reason not to.

No. Much research has been done in recent years about cofermentation and the result has been there is very little downside. Once brix is down to 10 you know there is a vigorous and healthy fermentation yeast population and there is no way some newly introduced ml bugs are going to start consuming sugar. The issue you are referring to has been vastly over stated and only occurs when there is a stuck etoh fermentation and ml is present. Most winemakers I know that co ferment add their bugs as soon as the yeast ends lag phase. I have always added my bugs around 10 brix and I love the finished wines so I have not experimented with added them earlier but see no enological reason not to.

Lag Phase? That Early? Any particular reason why you MLF so early (other than wanting to up the SO2 level sooner)?

There are lots of sensory reasons. Many winemakers like the flavor and aroma profile better. Of course, you would have to be privy to trials or do a side by side batch to try it for yourself.

Another big reason is reduced time. Often ml will be done at the same time as etoh or very shortly after. The warm well stirred environment is extremely conducive to ml completion.

Of course, I would not recommend anyone co ferment until you have done some research and are very comfortable with what you are getting into.

Back