MLF and sorbate question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorCAD

Reaction score
It's been a year and I opened a bottle of my Chilean Carmenere. If you recall, I was having tons of problems with pH and TA and I had a referment after 4 months.

When I called the winery that sold me the juice, their first reaction was that I needed to stabilize the wine quickly, as the referment was not a good thing.

Turns out that it may have been a spontaneous MLF, and not a referment, as my wine now has a really strong "geranium" taste. I understand that sorbate and MLF can cause this.

Question is ...can it be saved at this point. It is really undrinkable, unless I leave a glass open for an hour and do not inhale anywhere near the wine. The taste is then much better but that "geranium" taste comes through as an aftertaste. I was hoping that charcoal or copper or something would help.

Even blending with other wines doesn't help, that taste just keeps on coming through.

I'm afraid the answer is no. Unfortunately you either have to learn to love geraniums or dump the wine. There is no remedy for it. You could try carbon filtering but that usually strips the wine of all it's other goodness too.

I agree---there is no remedy for it. Actually, the remedy is to PREVENT it from happening.

OK, at least I get a bunch of bottles back for the next batch.

Always a silver lining...

Latest posts

Back