MLF and Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineutopia

Reaction score
I have read threads on this but I though I would double check... (sorry):

I have one 6 gallon carboy of Chianti and one 6 gallon carboy of Cab. Sauv. made from Juice Buckets.

I racked around 5 brix and added White Labs Malo. Lac. Bacteria on 09/18/2012. It is still sitting on the gross lees that was pulled from the buckets - is this ok. I know it is suppose to stay "silent" during MLF but I am just concerned - should I just relax or should I rack off the gross lees? Thanks a lot for the help guys and girls.

I'm attaching a link to the MoreWine guide for MLF. I recently read this over as I'm in the early stages of MLF just after press of my cab sauv from grapes. The recommend giving the wine a stir 1-2 times per week. I believe MLF will take about 6 weeks to complete. The guide suggests performing on light lees...

When MLF is complete add K Meta... Remember not to use Sorbate when performing MLF. Don't use Camden Tables.

Here is the link.

http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/wmlfinfo.pdf

I'm sure others will have some additonal guidence.
Best of luck with your wine.

You should alway rack off gross lees regardless of MLF. You may complete MLF, but you may also spoil the wine.
The question is: Is what you have gross lees. Wine made from juice buckets does not have the abundance of gross lees compared to wine that you've just pressed.

Racking does not necessarily wipe out MLF. It may set it back, but if you are careful not to splash to much it is fine.

Check for off odors, if you start to smell some, then rack.
Stir lees twice a week.

Back