MLF and k-meta question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty_Kay

Reaction score
Hi all- looking for some advice or information mostly to put my mind at ease and to see if others have run across this issue.

I currently have two 6 gallon batches of Chilean juice (Barbera & Carmenere) from pails going through MLF. I started MLF on 5/7/14 using Bacchus and nutrient for both and they are chugging along quite nicely & are about half way to 3/4 finished. I performed a chromatography test over the weekend. My issue is that I may be away when MLF completes, possibly up to 10 days, and if MLF finishes up while I'm away, the wine will be without k-meta to protect the wine.

If MLF completes while I'm away, will it be OK without k-meta for possibly up to 10 days until I return?

It will still be under bung & airlock.

Anyone's similar experiences or advice is appreciated!!

10 days , that will not be a problem.

your wine will still be saturated full of co2 and live mlb.

hitting it with so2 right away keeps the diacetyl in the wine with those mlb strains that produce a buttery flavor.

but if you don't hit it with so2 right away the mlb , when they run out of malic acid to eat , will eat the diacetyl and make a less buttery wine.

this is more useful to know if you are making chardonnay , so2 right after mlf and you will have a buttery wine, wait a few weeks and the wine will be fruitier .

my point is even a white wine can safely go a few weeks post mlf with no so2 .

so a red , where you have tannins to preserve the wine , and want stronger fruit notes , waiting a couple weeks to get the so2 in it , won't be a problem.

Thanks for all the responses, I feel much better knowing my wine will be just fine.

Latest posts

Back