Mlf 101

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ANOTHER question. I've always used SuperKleer or Chitosen to clear up my wine and I've added it at the same time I stabilized with sulfite and sorbate. So do I do the same, that is, wait until MLF is complete, add sufite, sorbate, and clarifier?

Robie,
You recommended that I get a bacteria culture that produces diacetyl. My winemaker supplier carries White Labs WLP 675. The spec states that it produces a "moderate" level of diacetyl. Will this product work for me? I also read that diacetyl production can be aided by racking the wine off the lees. This seems to imply that I might need some type of nutrient to replace the lost nutrients in the lees. Cab you clarify? Thanks again!
I can taste it aleady:h

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

I know nothing about that particular MLB. Just read the specs of it and many other MLB and decide what you like best.

If you want the maximum diacetyl, you will want to wait to start the MLF AFTER the alcohol fermentation is completed. Alcohol fermentation removes the diacetyl. Yes, that means racking the wine off the lees, so add an MLF nutrient.

That buttery taste is enhanced by oak of course. Be sure to maintain the correct temperature, free SO2, alcohol, and pH for the MLB you pick. There's not much fudge room for these.

Also remember that diacetyl is not normally considered a good thing for reds. That's why in many cases for reds, MLF is started early during alcohol fermentation, or a low diacetyl producing MLB is chosen.

Last edited:
I have ANOTHER question. I've always used SuperKleer or Chitosen to clear up my wine and I've added it at the same time I stabilized with sulfite and sorbate. So do I do the same, that is, wait until MLF is complete, add sufite, sorbate, and clarifier?

Go straight from alcohol fermentation, (in your case) to racking, to MLF without first stabilizing or clearing.

NEVER MIX MLF WITH SORBATE! It will ruin the wine.
You never need sorbate anyway, unless you are going to sweeten the wine. If you sweeten it, then you don't really need to do an MLF.
I never use sorbate unless the wine is to be sweet. I can taste even small doses of it and I never was a big fan of bubblegum.

Do not add sulfites before MLF, as it will prohibit MLF.

Last edited:
Robie,
That is a BIG help! Things are beginning to make sense and fall into place. I'm curious about the sorbate. I certainly don't want "sweet" but all my Wine Expert kits have sorbate (along with sulfite) to add at stabilization. Why?

Robie,
That is a BIG help! Things are beginning to make sense and fall into place. I'm curious about the sorbate. I certainly don't want "sweet" but all my Wine Expert kits have sorbate (along with sulfite) to add at stabilization. Why?

The kit manufacturers have to guaranty the kits to make good wine or your money back. They are going to take every step possible to insure the wine turns out OK, even for novice wine makers.

Re-fermentation, as well as oxidation are big contributors to failed kit wine. As a result, they want you to use sorbate to insure that the yeast can no longer multiply, hopefully eliminating fermentation in the bottle.

(Sorbate renders the yeast incapable of multiplying, so what yeast are still alive at the end of fermentation will soon die. Making sure the wine is dry, proper stabilizing with sulfites and bulk aging will eliminate further fermentation in the bottle.)

They also have you bottle way too early because they are more concerned about the wine becoming oxidized than they are about the sediment that usually forms in the bottles of early bottled wines.

Once one has made wine for awhile, adding sorbate can be seen as an unnecessary step for wines left dry, especially if one does not like the taste of sorbate (bubblegum taste).

Not all but most experienced kit wine makers do not add the sorbate if the wine is to be left dry. Similarly, we don't bottle so quickly. Some of us don't bottle for at least a year, although in some cases that might be a little extreme. ( Other than for sweet summer wines, which I do sorbate, I seldom bottle before 18 months.)

I would say if you have any doubts, go ahead and use the sorbate, just not where you will do an MLF. Lots of people can't even taste it. As you get more experienced, try leaving it out and see if it improves the taste of your wine.

Last edited:
http://morewinemaking.com/content/winemanuals

I find more wines manuals very helpful.
They cover mlf well for both white and red wines and if you scroll down they even have a separate mlf tips link.

Yep, they are very good at pointing out the differences between processing whites versus reds. I use their guides all the time. Really like their yeast/wine pairing guide.

See my comments in red

Good morning Robie! I'd like to get your thoughts on my progress. My Chard reached 0.994 the other day so I do believe fermentation is complete. I checked sulfite (twice) and get readings of around 25 - 30 ppm, using the Chemetrics Titrets. Everything I read says sulfite should be below 15. How do I get it down? Splash rack? Or is it necessary. Also, if I want to oak when can I do that, after MLF or during. BTW, I purchased Wyeast 4007. Thanks again for your help.

Back