WineXpert Mixed Emotions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docbee

Reaction score
Talk about mixed emotions!!! My first wine kits and equip just arrived today from George, but with family coming in and leaving town right after Christmas i am going to have to wait until next year to start!!!!!

Yes Smurfe, I did get the mix-stir thingamajiggy from your tutorial post.

Patience may be a virtue, but when this is the first time with wine making it is a hard thing to have to wait just to start.

smiley19.gif

Welcome docbee...Time will fly by and you'll be starting the New Year off right when you get home...

Welcome docdee....we all have been through this and wanted our wines started and ready to drink yesterday.
smiley36.gif
This extra time will give you a chance to read through the tutorial and ask any questions before you start.

Welcome docbee I must admit I was also like this but the more you do it the more patience you build ...actually you just want your wine to come out good so before you know it you will be scared to touch it for fear of messing it up!!!Welcome and let me tell you now this hobby is addicting!!! It should be illegal to have this much fun....

Welcome docbee...you will be starting a very fun hobby...good luck and have fun too..

Welcome docbee. You mean to tell me you didnt just have the ups guy hold the box open while you poured it in!
smiley36.gif
Patience is hard especially on the first kit

wadewade said:
Welcome docbee. You mean to tell me you didnt just have the ups guy hold the box open while you poured it in!
smiley36.gif
Patience is hard especially on the first kit

LOL If I was home when it arrived that would have been the right thing to do!!!!
Since I have already been brewing beer the patience for the aging (although not as long) wont be as bad as not being able to start the wine making hobby right away. My mead has been in a carboy for 3 months now so I "might" be able to make it with the wine making.

I am excited at trying something new and from what I have seen on this board good quality of wine is there for the patient vintner.

Oh, but once the patience is learned, the rewards are stellar! Hiding an aging product from view can really help!
I bet you can find a way and some time to get that kit started. We're rooting for you!

Well I would have started it last night after coming home from a hockey game. My problem is that I will be out of town from day 4-10 if I was to start right away. Somehow I feel that would not be too good for timing and monitoring the primary and moving to the secondary. But come Jan 2 I am attacking with a vengance. At least it will be an honest 2007 vintage!!

I keep the boxes the carboys come in. When I am bulk aging I put the carboy back in the box. Protected from light, temp fluctuations, and carboy straws!!

And I use them when they are empty to store them in upside down. Okay,
the carboys are never really empty but the boxes look good all lined up
and just in case one ever finds itself with no liquid.

If it makes you feel any better, my wife bought my starter package for me. It arrived before Thanksgiving and I had to wait until Christmas to start my first batch. I could have had the first batch bottled by then!

As a newbie in wine making, I fortunately have learned patience from my
other hobbies, mostly cheese making. You can make a darn fine
Cheddar in 6 months, but if you can wait a year or more the results are
fantastic. The longest I have waited was 14 months on a Parmesan,
which was awesome. When I first started out, I was too curious
and cut into the cheeses too soon and was underwhelmed. The key
is to get a inventory built up so that you have product ready on an on
going basis.

The same principles would apply to wine making. Make several batches to start and keep making on a regular basis.

Tom - who is making his first two batches today :)

There are a few people here that are or are interested in making
cheese. I myself am interested but have not yet ventured into cheese
although I love almost every type. Looks like someone's got a few great
hobbies going.

Yes it a very common thread with wine makers that they also love food and making other homemade goodies as well.

I went to a Japanese hibachi lunch last week with some folks from work and when I got home I informed my wife that I wanted to make some Saki....all I got from her was lots of eye rolling.
smiley29.gif

WellI got started on my first kit. After doing all grain beer it was easy to follow the instructions and finish off the first step in no time. I can't believeI was intimidated with doing wines. The only problem that I had was the first step in mixing the Bentonite in 1/2 gal water seemed to splash it a little too much. I used the mix stirrer and a drill.

Is there a trick to mixing the bentonite in so shallow of water or another method that wont splash, but yet get it all mixed??

Into day 5 of fermenting and SG at 1.012 so will probably be tomorrow before set 2.Edited by: docbee

I do have a secret
smiley2.gif
!

After my first few batches, I bought a cheap blender for this purpose. I mix the bentonite with the warm water in the blender and pour it in the bucket. Then I add the juice and remaining ingredients. It works really well.

I like that suggestion. It makes perfect sense after trying to get the clumps of the mix stirrer
smiley7.gif
Thanks for the idea!!!

And thanks for the great service on my orders. Couldn't believe how fast it got to me even during the busy Chritmas season. Gotta love all those peanuts
smiley36.gif

Good luck docbee. It is pretty easy when you get into it. I
am coming up on day 14 of the two kits I started. I am still
learning something new every day from reading this forum.

Latest posts

Back