Missoula Vinyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ORDab - thanks. Sorry I didn't see your post until now...

I popped on to warm up my hands... and fingers (typing being good for circulation). Yesterday (1 April) it was 33* in the morning then gropple showers throughout the day. "Just like April Fools..." I thought. I've been re-setting some posts and wanted to finish up. So today, after chores and the temp was up to 47* I went out after lunch to finish re-setting the last two posts. Half way through the first one, GROPPLE. Then more gropple. I could believe it - after all, that's why we talk about "cold-hardy!" But that describes what we plant! This kept up, wind came up, and finally after setting and tamping the second post, I came up! (To the house!) There, I found the temp had dropped to 39... jeesh. And this is April 2nd! :slp

I tried to take a picture but it just shows a semi-sunny, blue sky here-and-there and grey clouds. The far off snow/gropple showers are there against the hills but don't really show up.... And, of course when the gropple was white on the ground I was trying to dig, not take pictures! So, I can't post a pic of "springtime in the Rockies" but you know those lyrics aren't made up!

I have to tell you Dave, I needed to look up what the heck gropple was! Sounds nice and warm. It was actually up to 20 degrees this AM for a low. It has been getting a bit warmer and I have been able to prune some areas without getting stuck in the snow. Yesterday the row I tried to work on kept getting deeper the farther I went down it so I gave up on it when it reached my knees. And you were digging? I would need a jackhammer to try to break through the 5 feet or so of frost here.

This is for Rich!

I may have been digging last week but I know I am not alone in all the, uh... "challenges" of growing grapes in the northern climes... and that all of us here on the forums from 7000 feet at Lost Almost to Maine, and points in between, can appreciate, and even laugh, at the challenges!

THIS is what we woke up to this morning! And, while there was some gropple mixed in, it was all the real stuff!

DSC_0005_2.jpeg

Sunday we had snow flakes in the morning and it was mid 60's later that day.

See, Rich - I KNEW you'd understand and appreciate that little wake-up. We had 70* on the 13th... then 47* and flurries yesterday... and supposed to be partly sunny and 50 today. Marty, too. Greatest snow on earth, there!

But what a view!!!!

Yeah, nice view - we do call it "Farviews Vineyards" - in case I decide to put in a second one!
:)
(now, back to taxes...)

And I thought I was a procrastinator doing them on Sunday! :i :)
I don't want to give it any earlier than I have to!

BUT, you'll be happy to know I just started my pruning yesterday! I read something about that "prune in March" business... read to the end of the sentence! It was that most vineyards prune in March to get through their whole vineyard before bud-break!

Well, since I could do MY "whole vineyard" in an afternoon "before bud-break," I'm breaking it up to at least two days! :db

We are in the same "tax boat". Why give them a free loan of your money? Interesting that they don't reciprocate the favor. Don't pay enough in over the course of the year and they get to penalize you if it exceeds a certain amount…...

Sounds like you said it was raining this……… LOL

Scrapple_Recipe_And_Ingredients_freecomputerdesktopwallpaper_1600.jpg

Next thing, Paul and Mike are going to turn this into a "wrestling" thread!

YESTERDAY, Paul - we had bud-break. 71* and warm - no gropple... or snapple!

Well, at least we had bud-break on the M. Foch and Leon Millot. But the Edelweiss (only one vine left!) is swelling, the Pinot is getting there... don't think I lost any this year, touch wood as the Aussies say, and the Reisling is not looking good. I guess those people who say you can't grow Pinot or Reisling in Montana are half-right.

The problem with bud-break is the tenderness, as we all know, of these new leaves and we WILL have frost as late as the first week in May. So, I've got to get the sprinklers charged or else we can lose the whole batch...

Here are some pictures
First are Foch, then Millot, then the Pinot.

MFochApr15.jpg

LMillotApr15.jpg

PNApr15.jpg

Well Dave what is wrong with a good cage match or two. We can have Mike and Paul going at it, although I would rater see a couple of the big boobed ladies wrastling.

We aren't that awful far behind you now although we may get some light snow/ rain mix tonight. Ot poured most of the day so not a lot of pruning got done.

Nice looking buds.

The buds on my vines just come out, like rice grains. Since our official frost date (4/15) has past, I'm probably fine.

Next thing, Paul and Mike are going to turn this into a "wrestling" thread!

YESTERDAY, Paul - we had bud-break. 71* and warm - no gropple... or snapple!

Well, at least we had bud-break on the M. Foch and Leon Millot. But the Edelweiss (only one vine left!) is swelling, the Pinot is getting there... don't think I lost any this year, touch wood as the Aussies say, and the Reisling is not looking good. I guess those people who say you can't grow Pinot or Reisling in Montana are half-right.

The problem with bud-break is the tenderness, as we all know, of these new leaves and we WILL have frost as late as the first week in May. So, I've got to get the sprinklers charged or else we can lose the whole batch...

Here are some pictures
First are Foch, then Millot, then the Pinot.

Nice looking buds.

The buds on my vines just come out, like rice grains. Since our official frost date (4/15) has past, I'm probably fine.

Red, I hope you're okay.

On the other hand, I just happened to watch my Cards whip the Nationals and... heads up Sourgrapes... saw scrapple falling from the sky in the Cubbies - Pirates game, in Pittsburgh.
Hmmm... No - WAIT - that was GROPPLE!

But Red, a gropple shower in mid-April in your part of the world means... yes, Climate Change!!!

Back