Mildew / black rot prevention on small scale plantings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelap

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, after much back and forth, I placed an order for a few grapevines which should arrive to my door here in CT sometime next week. My question is, I'm trying to avoid the use of pesticides/fungicides as much as possible, wondering whether having a small single row of grapevines (10 or so) reduces susceptibility to these problems? For whatever it's worth, I'm growing 8 Tannat and 2 cab franc vines. Both claim to be hardy to my climate and vineyards in my state are growing cab franc. I know I could have reduced my chances by choosing a hybrid, but I'm not the type to get discouraged if things go wrong, I'll just try again.

I have (literally) sand for soil with low nutrients, and was planning on 4 foot vine spacing as a result. Would increasing that distance help prevent these problems from occurring?

I would go to 6 foot spacing. The closer spacing leads to more crowding and increases disease incidence. Good luck growing without sprays. Most who try give up after about the 3rd or 4th year as disease builds up just about the time the grapes start producing.

Latest posts

Back