RJ Spagnols metatartar vs cold stabilizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
I have just started the RJS En Primeur Super Tuscan with dried skins. Included is a pack of metatartar to be added prior to bottling to hinder the formation of bitartate crystals (wine diamonds). The instructions also say[FONT=&quot] "Cold stabilizing a wine will result in the formation of potassium bitartrate crystals[/FONT][FONT=&quot] inspite of the addition of metatartar". [/FONT] So why add the metatartar? I plan to cold stabilize anyway. Should I do both add metatartar and cold stabilize? One or the other? If both which should I do first.

I have just started the RJS En Primeur Super Tuscan with dried skins. Included is a pack of metatartar to be added prior to bottling to hinder the formation of bitartate crystals (wine diamonds). The instructions also say[FONT=&quot] "Cold stabilizing a wine will result in the formation of potassium bitartrate crystals[/FONT][FONT=&quot] inspite of the addition of metatartar". [/FONT] So why add the metatartar? I plan to cold stabilize anyway. Should I do both add metatartar and cold stabilize? One or the other? If both which should I do first.

Don't know yet. I had the same product in my EP Amarone but somehow it was lost during the process. I have sampled a bottle or 2 and, yes, there are diamonds but no more than with Showcase Amarone. I have convinced myself and my guests that it is a sign of good ingredients making good, unfiltered wine. We all buy that explanation.

I would cold stabilize it first if you're going to do both.

I use a product instead of cold stabilizing but I follow instructions to the T, and I don't drop a single crystal even with the high acid wines from the Great Lakes region.

DEFINITELY do CS first if you will do both, (as Dan says). CS is intended to precipitate the bitartrate crystals out of solution, thereby lowering the tartaric acid content of the wine. With lower tartaric acid content, it is less likely that bitartrate crystals will precipitate later. In contrast, metatartaric acid merely inhibits the nucleation (precipitation) of bitartrate crystals. The tartrates are still there, waiting for the conditions to be ripe for them to nucleate.

I did an EP Amarone and Pinot Noir last year and did CS on both. But I did not add the metatartaric acid. The instructions I had stated that it would prevent the formation of crystals for up to a year. My thinking was that CS would force them to fall out, thereby eliminating the need for the metatartaric.

Back