metabisuFIFE V. metabisulpHITE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badhibit

Reaction score
Like to know if I have a problem? I have been making wine for 6 yrs. And have NEVER added metabisufife powder to my wine. When you folks talked about potassium metabisuFITE, (Pete) I though you were talking about campden tablets,(potassium metabisulpHITE) It is the same. BUT, Campden is 30 ppm free SO2. While metabisulfite is100 ppmof free SO2. Have I messed up. ONLY adding 1 campden tablet per gallon before bottling? And NO potassium metabisufite? I know there are much the same thing. BUT one ie 3 1/2 times stronger. Could this be the problem I have with gas. Or do I have to worry about having enough metabisulfite in the wine I already have bottled? I have 6 gal. that has been bubbling for 6 months. It tastes good. Just would n`t quit gasing? Badhabit
smiley5.gif

metabisuFITE vs metabisuLPHITE is only a difference in the spelling. There are two forms of metabisulfite used in wine making; potassium/K-meta (57.6% SO2) and sodium/Na-meta (67.4% SO2) and the difference issodium is cheaper and a bit stronger.

Campden tablets can come in either K-meta or Na-meta and also different strengths depending onwho makes them.

The amount of the total sulfite that becomes bound varies but I have read that using a basis of 50% is safe. So this means if you add a dosage of 50 ppm to your wine 50% becomes bound and this leaves 25 ppm of free SO2 for the protection of your wine.

More confused now?

Thanks Masta, and PeterZ. I think i`m all right.The way I understand what your saying is; there basiclly the same. Just spelled different. One word is British. I added 6 crushed campden tablets to the wine, when I added the super-kleer. I guess i`ll just have to wait until the gases work themself out of the wine. Its been sitting for 6 months now. Its slowing down some. I hate to shake, or try to stir the gas out after clearing the wine. It taste good, and looks good. Again Thanks, Badhabit

Latest posts

Back