maximum extraction when pressing whites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mainly make white wine. I have three wood presses. Different sizes. For use with different amounts of grapes to be pressed. So I calculate as needed. So you should also (i.e. do not buy too large a press for your needs).

Thus, be aware that a basket press can be multi-loaded. That is, I fill the press, press, remove the press plates add more must, press, etc and repeat. I get about three pressings before I have to disassemble and clean a press**. The first press, leaves about 50% of the volume to be reloaded. The second press leaves bout 30% to be reloaded

But this is for my vertical basket presses. Horizontal bladder presses may have different capacities and ability to reload. I have less experience with bladder presses so others should be consulted.

** I use a pressure washer, so cleaning is rather easy. What is not so easy is hefting the wood press baskets for my very large #55 press, but my smaller presses this is not an issue and easy to do.
Thanks for info!

I have been using a Lancman bladder press to press my Riesling grapes. I run them through my crusher/destemmer first, then from there I go directly to pressing. I usually do what I think of as a light press, around 1.5 bar pressure. I let it come up to pressure slowly, then once it gets to 1.5 bar I let it stay there for a few minutes. Sometimes I let it go down in pressure and press again. But I try to not go over 1.5 bar, just to get a light press.
The Lancman works great....very happy I bought one!

I use a nylon bag in my press and empty it after every time I load and press. I don’t have a picture of the bag in it. The bags are usually a laundry bag with larger mesh and usually only last for one day’s pressing.View attachment 103169
I love the lever press. I’ve been looking for a large press but I’m probably just going to make one. I’ve never seen one like this.

I recently picked up a 1.5” diameter x 24” stainless steel screw and nut with a large wheel (handle) from a gate valve assembly. I was going to have my brother bend up some stainless hoops and make my own basket press.

Back